It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

lynnralphie HB User
Should general Dentist or oral surgeon do extraction ?

Last week (Friday) I had a painful tooth, my dentist saw me right away, but ended up sending me to the endodontist because the tooth had previously been a root canal. At the Endodontist he looked at the tooth through a microscope and found a fracture, explaing the pain. He calmed down the tooth re-closed it and said it would be okay until Monday. He suggested that an oral surgeon (to be recommended by my general dentist) could maybe take out the tooth and start an implant immediately. Then, my dentist called there to see how I was doing and he suggested I call him monday morning that he would extract it himself. Since it is already cracked(it might come out in pieces) and I am in pain, wouldn't it be better to have him send me right to the oral surgeon ? They might have better anesthesia and be able to start on the replacement tooth?
Also they will be able to surgically remove pieces ?
Do I let regular guy do it or express my concerns and see if he can get me right in with the oral surgeon ?
Scared ( I get gas to even get my teeth cleaned)

Old 07-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

drupe56 HB User
Re: Should general Dentist or oral surgeon do extraction ?

I had a tooth pulled or what was left of one about 3? weeks ago. It was #9 (front). I had a cap over it for over 40 years before it failed thus having to have it pulled. My problem was the root, if I remember right, it was split.

Anyway, my gen. dentist would have done any way I wanted pretty much. He first thought that I might be a good candidate for the "pull the tooth, start the implant" but he wanted an oral surgeon to make that call since OS do implants. So he referred me to an OS. (Hint: Let them make the appointment to the OS you may get in sooner). When I got to the OS he said that because I had so little bone that I would have to have a bone graph first, then the implant. Extra step but more guarantee for implant to take.

Since the tooth involved was a front one, I needed to have a fake tooth made. It's called a flipper. This was not cheap. Mine was $800. (Hint: If you have to have one of these made make sure it will be ready the day your other tooth is pulled. That's if your tooth is a front one). Honestly, it's worrisome, but it covers the gap until my implant. My gen. dentist fit me for it and does any adjustments.

I guess my question to you now is, Do you TRUST your gen. dentist? I trust mine. In fact I like him better than the OS. After talkiing to my gen. dentist I decided to let him pull my tooth. If mine was a little more involved like yours, I probably would have talked to him to see if he was capable of doing it or if he thought it would be BETTER FOR ME to have the OS do it.

Finally, money didn't factor into who pulled the tooth. But as it worked out, with my gen. dentist pulling it and oh, yeah I had him use the gas! No way without it. Cost of gen. dentist: $190. OS surgeon cost: $560(?). Money saved will go toward the bone graph.

Sorry to be long-winded, but hope info. helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
(female)

threesons3 HB User

Go to an oral surgeon. He will put you to sleep and you won't know a thing about it. I had a cracked tooth extracted by an oral surgeon. They are great!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Kimspikedhair HB User

I would have a Oral Surgeon do it, I always go to one whenever I get a tooth pulled.
I will be going to my Oral Surgeon on August 1st to have 6 teeth extracted (I will be fully asleep).
This will be my 6th visit with the Oral Surgeon since this past December (getting teeth pulled). UGH!! :-( (And everytime being fully asleep).
So I am a pro at it. haha
I always need to be put to sleep whenever I have even 1 tooth pulled (by an oral surgeon) because no matter how much novacaine that they give me, I still feel ALOT of pain as there trying to pull out the tooth (this has happend many times) so now I just automatically be put to sleep.
Personally I would just go to an Oral Surgeon instead of having your dentist extract the tooth, because what happens if the dentist can't fully get it all out, and than you will have to end up going to the oral surgeon anyway, talk about alot of money, having to end up paying both.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Kim

Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
(female)

Junebug08 HB User

I had a wisdom tooth that came thru last fall that was killing me. I went to my general dentist and he pulled it with no problems. I've had many other teeth pulled, all by a general dentist. I think a lot it depends on how comfortable you are with your dentist. Oh, and going to an oral surgeon for that wisdom tooth would have cost at least $400. My gen. dentist charged me $80!
#2 EDD: 9/23/2010

Closed Thread