It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

johndow HB User
bridges vs hybrid dentures, please help!

After I went to my dentist today, I was very upset because the doctor said almost all my teeth have a poor to hopeless prognosis, and suffered from serious bone loss. I am in 30th but my teeth condition is like a 60th man.

He recommended that:

Upper Arch:

Extract all teeth
1. Surgically place 6-8 dental implants
2. Restorative: Hybrid denture (if 6 implants are placed)
4 separate Implant-retained bridges (if 8 implants are placed)
Lower Arch:
1. Extract all teeth
2. Surgically place 6-8 dental implants
3. Restorative: Hybrid denture (if 6 implants are placed)
4 separate implant-retained bridges (if 8 implants are placed)

Campare the total cost, bridges(with 8 implants) is about $80k, and Hybrid denture(with 6 implants) is about $45k.

I am wondering what's major defference between bridges and hybrid dentures?
I am thinking about Hybrid denture because of the cost in significant. But I want to know if there are more importance reason that I should choose bridges instead of Hybrid denture .

Could anyone provide me more detailed information regarding the pros and cons between the two choices, regarding with esthetic control, comfortness, appeals, long term success on this procedure and long term maintainess effort.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to johndow For This Useful Post:
tagadson (02-22-2012)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User
Re: bridges vs hybrid dentures, please help!

I'm sorry to hear this. What exactly is giong on with your mouth? Did you say you are in your 30's? May I suggest that you get a 2nd opinion from a reputable dentist?

I am not quite sure how these drs. think we can come up with $80,000 in the bat of any eye? Perhaps you can fill us in on what exactly is going on? Are you teeth mobile due to bone loss? Are they falling out? If you need to get implants I am assuming you will need bone grafting if your bone loss is so severe? Pls. get a second and even a third opinion and fill us in more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Basically it sounds like all your teeth need to be removed and if implants are done the dentist gave you 2 options - the first being 6 implants with a denture attached and the 2nd being 8 implants and doing seperate bridges on sections or quadrants. Its hard to say which is better since they both basically result in the same thing. Some people may find having seperate bridges done on each quadrant allows for greater flexibility or movement of the jaws and feels more natural. Also, should there be a problem with one implant down the road or you develop a gum or bone infection or the bridge chips, etc, then only the one bridge can be removed and not the entire denture which is good. The big question here is if you should even be considering implants given the bone loss you have already experienced. Although many drs insist implants prevent bone recession - I don't buy it since I have seen continued bone loss when I did have implants. Supposedly removing "bad" teeth and cleaning the bone around them and then going to implants prevents any further erosion but if you're dealing with a heredity issues or are taking certain meds that contribute to the bone loss or smoke you could be wasting your time and money.

I have read some posts where some people start by going to regular dentures and then slowly start to incorporapate implants by doing the bottom first which tend to cause the most problems and then doing the top if they find the implants do help.

You may want to go to a good oral surgeon and/or periodontist and have him or her evaluate the overall health and bone structure or bone density of your jaws (bone and gums tissue) to determine if implants are the right choice for you as a long term solution, although no one can really predict what the future holds. Since you say you suffered with extensive bone loss, I am assuming some bone grafts may need to be done as well, which probably accounts for some of the high cost of the options he has offered.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 08-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
(male)

johndow HB User

Thanks for Thelma-Louise and dma11663 for the quick reply.

The dentist I am seeing specializes in the treatment of periodontal disease, periodontal esthetic procedures and dental implantology. He did an initial CT scan on my bone structure about 3 weeks ago and come up with a detailed plan with another doctor who will do the denture part. Here are the steps in a summary, and they gave fees to each step.

1. construct upper and lower immediate dentures
2. Extractions of all teeth and ridge adjustment with IV sedation
3. check and reline the dentures
4. prepare the dentures for the NobelGuide CT scan
5. NobelGuide CT Scan to design the surgical guide
6. Placement of 12 or 16 dental implants
7. refit the dentures
8. attach the abutment connectors onto the implants if choose bridges.
9. Place permanent bridges or hybrid dentures.

I know my teeth are really bad. By looking at the CT scan, about half are without any bone attached and they are in very mobile state both in upper and lower arch. The doctor said although there are serveral teeth savable, it is not worth to save them since it may compromised long-term success for other implanted teeth.

Yes, I said I am in my 30's and my teeth condition is about 60 years old.

Any opinion are highly appreciated!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
(male)

jbond HB User

how did it turn out? could you share some more experience? Hope it worked out ok..

Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
(female)

Mora HB User

for the extensive amount of work your looking at and the unknown long term durability of implants placed without bone grafts you certainly owe it to yourself to get a second and third opinion. Find the phone number for your local Dental District and ask to be referred to a periodontist. The periodontist will asses your bone loss issue. Then will recommend an oral surgeon to do extractions and any implant or bone graft with implant procedures. Along with a general dentist he/she is familiar with proven restoration results for the restorations (bridges, over dentures etc). In the end you should come no where near $80,000.00 and will be best treated by a team of dentists that are well versed in their area of expertise. Good Luck. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by Mora; 11-26-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
(male)

badteeth7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndow View Post
After I went to my dentist today, I was very upset because the doctor said almost all my teeth have a poor to hopeless prognosis, and suffered from serious bone loss. I am in 30th but my teeth condition is like a 60th man.

He recommended that:

Upper Arch:

Extract all teeth
1. Surgically place 6-8 dental implants
2. Restorative: Hybrid denture (if 6 implants are placed)
4 separate Implant-retained bridges (if 8 implants are placed)
Lower Arch:
1. Extract all teeth
2. Surgically place 6-8 dental implants
3. Restorative: Hybrid denture (if 6 implants are placed)
4 separate implant-retained bridges (if 8 implants are placed)

Campare the total cost, bridges(with 8 implants) is about $80k, and Hybrid denture(with 6 implants) is about $45k.

I am wondering what's major defference between bridges and hybrid dentures?
I am thinking about Hybrid denture because of the cost in significant. But I want to know if there are more importance reason that I should choose bridges instead of Hybrid denture .

Could anyone provide me more detailed information regarding the pros and cons between the two choices, regarding with esthetic control, comfortness, appeals, long term success on this procedure and long term maintainess effort.

Thank you very much in advance!!!!
Whatever your choice , you should negotiate the price down . Most dentists will . The prices you quote are very high . Also , you might condider having 1 or 2 implants done and the see how they hold before going whole hog . good luck .

Closed Thread