It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

walkunafraid HB User
7 hours after tooth extraction, bleeding STILL hasn't stopped

I had my back bottom left molar extracted this morning, and 7 hours later, the site is still bleeding a decent amount.

I've been biting down on gauze all day, but it hasn't stopped the bleeding.

Does anyone have any advice that can help stop the bleeding?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

mykayco7 HB User
Re: 7 hours after tooth extraction, bleeding STILL hasn't stopped

i was told a moist tea bag helps. hope it works

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

walkunafraid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykayco7 View Post
i was told a moist tea bag helps. hope it works
Thank you so much for the suggestion. Do you know what kind of tea I should use, or does it matter?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Don't bite down or suck on the gauze if possible - it disturbs the blood clot that forms which helps stops the bleeding. And if the gauze becomes stuck or adheres to the extraction area from being a bit dry, moisten it first with saliva or water and then remove it - again this will prevent the blood clot from being removed too harshly which could start the bleeding again. Some ice packs on the face (on 10 mins, off 10 mins repeated several times) in the general area may help . Also, don't be alarmed if you conitnue to "ooze" some over night - its not uncommon. Tomorrow will be e better day.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I had a tooth pulled last week - and they basically told me the same as the others here have said. Ice pack near the site or wet a tea bag and put it on the extraction. Hope this helps!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

walkunafraid HB User

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I tried the tea bag solution and it seemed to reduce the heavy bleeding considerably after about 40 minutes. After that, I decided not to stuff anything else (gauze or tea bag) over the extraction site for fear that it might open up the clot again.

Since then, I've left the site alone and the heavy bleeding seems to be over with. However, there is still some blood coming from the site -- not heavy, but enough so that when I spit (actually drool, since I'm not allowed to spit) my saliva is kind of streaked-pink with traces of the blood.

Also, after 8+ hours of sleep last night, I woke up and had a small amount of blood in my mouth -- not heavy, but again enough to streak my saliva with blood.

When I look at the extraction site it appears to be full of blood (dark red), but I assume this is good since it is probably the blood clotting?

What do you all think -- am I in the clear, or should I go back to the dentist?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

It sounds good to me but if you're concerned just give the dental office a call and ask their advice.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

bottom tooth pulled today - not the eye tooth but the 2nd past that one toward the side - jaw tooth I guess. I had it pulled at 2:00 - the bleeding has mostly stopped. My jaw is really sore - and still feels alittle numb! The dentist stuck me about 3 times though - they did hurt - especially the one in front. I am taking tylenol extra strength - any recommendations?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

walkunafraid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender01 View Post
bottom tooth pulled today - not the eye tooth but the 2nd past that one toward the side - jaw tooth I guess. I had it pulled at 2:00 - the bleeding has mostly stopped. My jaw is really sore - and still feels alittle numb! The dentist stuck me about 3 times though - they did hurt - especially the one in front. I am taking tylenol extra strength - any recommendations?
Have you iced your jaw at all? I felt that helped my jaw pain a bit after my extraction.

Closed Thread