It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User
deep white filling not sure if this is still normal!!!

ok ive had a certain molar thats been filled 4x in 8 yrs! first time it was a small filling on the side,then that fell out so i got it replaced then a few yrs later it was discovered they hadnt gotten all the cavity out so they redug and filled again.so last sept. i went to the dentist for s check up and i told her ever since i got this tooth filled over and over it bleeds in between and is sore on my gum line after xrays it showed my previous dentist (this one was a new one i see now)that the filling was digging into my gums and causing probs so she took it all out and refilled it! low and behold after all these yrs of discomfort my gums there are perfect now, but now i have another problem lol because of all these probs over the yrs i always avoided chewing on that side and still 99% of the time i chew on my opposite side out of habit and im thinking this is whats causing this now issue and this issue is that ever since she filled it its still uncomfortable when i do eat or chew gum on it! it doesnt hurt at all instead its a yucky sensitive feeling.it was a very deep and filled tooth and a white filling too. she told me because of this is may take a few months before it returns to normal but its coming up a yr. my bite was checked and thats fine! i had 4 other teeth done at the same time but those were little fillings.i am thinking maybe it hasnt had time to become desensitized cause i dont chew on it?im not sure but should a filling still feel "weird" after this long?someone scared me and said maybe i need a root canal! i dont know why a root canal would be needed in this case but i am PETRIFIED of dentists so of course its put me in panic mode.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
(female)

DrMax HB User
Re: deep white filling not sure if this is still normal!!!

Sometimes when a tooth has been filled so many times it just doesn't have the ability to repair itself anymore. Overtime when fillings are made, the inside lifeline of the tooth shrinks back in an attempt to save the tooth from further damage. Thus the blood supply inside the tooth gets smaller and smaller. When a tooth is filled again the tooth cannot protect itself and starts to die. Bacteria can enter the tooth without the body defending the tooth and they then multiply. You start to get an infection which can then turn into an abscess. Root canal treatments are not that bad, the worst about it is having to spend to long in the chair.

There is a lot of old wives tales about them, yes they can hurt if the tooth is very infected, but everything is painful when very infected. If the tooth is already dead you feel no pain, and the dentist should place a local anaesthetic into the tissues to relieve any discomfort. Molar root canals take more time and it is very difficult for the dentist to do, most dentists hate doing them because they are so fiddly and they actually hurt the dentist in their back, eyes, fingers and head because they need to concentrate so much.
Dentists are human - don't expect miracles, if the tooth can't be saved it should be removed.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i understand what u are saying but i dont think my situation has much to do with a root canal possibly needed. See my tooth is just doing what a lot of others have said about deep white fillings...that it takes time to "feel" normal again but im thinking this has taken a while now and should be better. i am not in any pain or discomfort and other than biting down on crunchy or hard things it ok to chew on the sensation of that tooth is just still senstitive even to cold things still and the other fillings i had are still that way too but dont feel weird still when i bite down thats what makes me think i dont need a root canal i think its just the filling. more or less im thinking that its because i havent used the tooth enough to get used to being chewed on.also the 3 fillings i had done before were very very tiny on the side of my tooth and not deep it was only from is decaying over a bit of time that she wanted to make sure it was all gone. btw when i say i have a fear of dentists its a major fear and while i dont mind sitting in the chair im a freak and dont use novocaine which to me is the worst part so having a procedure done that i would need novocaine is the problem for me. either way it is hurting or anything like that.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Its possbile that although you may not need a root canal the filling is just too deep and large causing pressure when chewed on - it may be time for a crown. I myself had 3 white fillings done and found none of them felt quite right despite being more pleasing to the eye - the metal fillings always seemed to feel more natural within a few days though. White fillings aren't for everyone.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

thats what i figure its the white one cause even on my small white fillings i still have sensitivity to hot and cold so...i only brought up the root canal as it was mentioned by a friend! im not having any problems with this tooth other than the feeling it isnt right.

Closed Thread