It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User
Why is my aching cracked wisdom tooth causing searing pain in other parts of my head?

Part of my upper left wisdom tooth broke off....It's clear the nerve of the tooth was exposed, as at least once a day I am wracked with severe pain in that tooth- i intend to have it pulled....

What baffles me is that the pain seems to be moving to different parts of my head..My tooth will start to ache, then my left eye will be in searing pain...then my scalp feels as if my hair is being ripped away in chunks- i have never felt such intense pain- Today after work I collpased on my bed in the fetal position- It felt as if someone was ramming wire hangers into my left eye...The pain was that intense....Ive been taking extra strength tylenol, which helps somewhat...

WHY is the pain from my wisdom tooth affecting differnt parts of my head? Tonight the wisdom tooth pain moved to my throat- It feels like someone stamped on my throat...right now, as i feel the throbbing pain in my tooth, there is a throbing pain in my left eye. Why???

I dont have dental insurance- hoiw much does it cost to get a wisdoim tooth pulled? I never felt such intense pain like this before....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Why is my aching cracked wisdom tooth causing searing pain in other parts of my h

because an infection is probably affecting the nerve of the the tooth and nerve pain can travel along nerve pathways causing inflamation to sinuses and eustachion tubes, even causing glands to become swollen. If possible - go to the emergency room of a local hospital - most have oral surgeons on standby for such things - at the very least they can prescribe prescription strength pain killers and antibiotics which should help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
(female)

DrMax HB User
Re: Why is my aching cracked wisdom tooth causing searing pain in other parts of my h

Infection yes can cause pains in other parts of the head, but what is more likely is that because the nerve to the teeth is supplied by nerves of the head an neck which are all in close proximatry you can get 'referred' pain. This means that because it is pain you are experiencing and not a sensation of touch or pressure, the brain does not have the ability to distingush where that pain is coming from. There is no location sensors with some types of pain, you just know it is painful. The nerve supplying the teeth is from the Trigeminal Nerve, this also supples the bottom teeth and the muscles of the face which allow chewing which are situated in the temple, the cheek and the throat. My advice is to get that tooth out because if an infection occurs it will get worse!

Closed Thread