It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
(male)

Titanic Explore HB User
When does my rancid breath fade following my wisdom tooth extraction?

I had my wisdom tooth pulled yesterday- amazingly, NO pain- I took only one over the counter pain pill, and thats all....One problem though- my breath is putrid-my whole mouth smells like a healing wound- which is nasty-My girlfriend nearlly gagged at the smell when she tried to kiss me-
Its been one day since the extraction- when will my horrid breath fade, and when will it be safe tyo use mouthwash? I don't want to do anything that would loosen the clot and cause a dry socket...

Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: When does my rancid breath fade following my wisdom tooth extraction?

Gentle mouthwashing and a gargle should be OK by this time. Just swish the mouthwash around slowly and let it stay in for a minute or two.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I wouldn't use mouthwash for awhile. The alcohol in mouthwash is not good yet for the wound. Rinse your mouth gently with salted warm water - does not need to be an exact measurement but do not over do the salt. Don't swish! Let it sit in your mouth on the side of the extraction and then let it drain from your mouth into the sink. If the odor continues past three days or it site becames painful contact your dentist to make sure there is no infection.

glowing4

Old 09-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

the blood and tissue is probably causign an odor and as someone said be sure you do not have an infection. Warm salt water is probably ok. Eventually the rancid smell and taste goes away.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
(female)

katzfriend HB User

I had that problem when I had mine pulled. Food tends to get caught in the extraction hole and it starts to smell really bad. What helped me best was using warm salt water to gargle, a LOT! It got rid of the nasty smell.

Closed Thread