It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
(female)

maryjoplin HB User
Question Care of Dentures and Gums

Hi! I just want to say I am SO glad to have found this Board. I recently got an immediate upper denture. In the future I want to get the lowers done as well. Can anyone tell me how to prevent or at least slow down bone loss? Also, what can I do besides brushing, to care for the denture and my gums?
Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

fofomebunny HB User
Re: Care of Dentures and Gums

I was wondering the same thing myself as I am due to get a partial for three spaces all together. Just reading about wearing partials or fulls gets you all freaked out as they talk about not having that natural chewing stimualting pressure there on the bone. Besides exercising and eating your greens, collards and all that, I am wondering about things like -sounds weird- electrical pulses...i've read that this actually stimaulates bone growth and I don't know if my face zapper for wrinkles counts, but you've probably seen them, they've been around for a while. there is a small micro-current that runs between two round metal disks, you put your special creamy goop on your face and then hold the machine on several key muscle points and it stimulates thos muscles, to firm and lift. But I did read an article about how small electrical current stimulates bone...however....holding the machine on to a gumline is a whole different situation, perhaps holding along the areas closest to the mouth? I'm now officialy curious and am going to present this question to a website I go to for oddball questions like this. Will keep you all posted in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

The best thing you can do to care your gums and dentures is to keep them very clean and wear them when it is appropriate. Whether you take them out to sleep is a very personal issue and one to discuss with your dentist. There are mixed opinions about this. I sleep with mine out because the dentist told me the gums need time to breathe and to restore full circulation. I also massage mine with my fingers and sometimes chew bubble gum without my teeth in to help stimulate my gums.
Using a soft toothbrush to massage them is also good. You should get into a routine for taking care of your dentures every day.

I have had mine for 7 years, feel free to ask me anything

Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

maryjoplin HB User

Thanks. I do take them out at night. I brush the gums, but -chewing gum w/ them out?! I'm not brave enough for that yet. LOL Thanks again for the input though.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

CG480 HB User

Hello everyone. I just found this board today and I have a few questions about dentures.

I got a temporary denture alittle over 3 weeks ago. I had some problems with gaging so the dentist cut some of the top off. This has helped. When the dentist first put the denture in he lined it witha medicated liner and after a week redid this and now 2 weeks later has relined it. As I was getting close to the 2 weeks I noticed that the liner was wearing thin and it did hurt but now that it relined again it feels good. But now I do not go in for another 3 weeks. So my question is can I buy online or anywhere else a reliner as I am sure this will be wearing out before I have to go back. Also can I use an Adhesive to help them feel snug. As I seem to have problem with leaning down to bite down yet. I know I cannot bite from the front any more but still trying to learn how to bite on the side when it comes to eating hamburgers and other stuff like that.

Thanks for anyhelp you can give me.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

At this early stage you probably should not be relying on store bought products to reline your new dentures. It is ok to call the dentist and get back in before they expect to see you. Everyones gums shrink at different rates. It is best to ask the dentist about the use of over the counter products initially.
Learning to eat with dentures takes time. Just keep working at it

Closed Thread