It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

plc HB User
bone expose after tooth extraction

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
four weeks ago I had a wisdom tooth pulled. I am in my fifty's finally had it out,due to an abcess. Well, all seem to be going well till week ago. I kept feeling something sharpe under the gum where the tooth was pulled. Call the dentist,the girl told me this is a bone fragment,very common,warm water rinses it will work it's self out. Well the area of concern got worst,something did break though,eating, drinking,talking causes problems.Well, saw my regular dentist(not the oral surgeon who did the procedure) he told me that the gum near the extraction ruptured during the procedure,thus shrunk down and now I have bone expose. This happens to 1% of extraction, he agrees with me that it is painful, and hopes it will get better in 2 months. Meanwhile nothing I can do...If it does not improve in two months he wants to see me. Any hopeful advice???

Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: bone expose after tooth extraction

Oh my goodness plc, I did not want to see that it was you!!! I am so sorry. You had not posted in awhile, so I thought everything was just fine. This must feel like a major pot hole!

Are you taking any drugs for osteoporosis? Sometimes these drugs can cause problems with extractions.

I have certainly heard of pieces of bone breaking through after an extraction - it is quite common. I do hope someone on here can help you and give you some advice to feel better. Let me know how you are doing.

I had a root canal yesterday, so meanwhile my problems continue and I am so hoping this is it for awhile. My mouth feels pretty beat up.

Take care, and I so hope you feel better.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

plc HB User

Hi glowling 4 Yes I have a major pot hole! The worst part of this is nothing can be done for a few months. I took actnol for 3mos. 4 years ago. Had to stop due to the side effects.Only taking e-zorb now. Evidently the "wonderful oral surgeon" was a little to quick with his procedure. Plus when I went to him I had to sign alot of papers before he would do the procedure. I was in so much pain I would have sign any thing to get rid of the discomfort.Now I'm not so sure. For now I have pain....I'm glad I had to lose a few pounds,for to date I have lost 6lbs. Eating is not fun, when food gets near that area, the discomfort is so painful I find myself finishing only 1/2 of what I took. If I did not have to eat or drink I would be fine..Now will this improve??? I hope so..I'm trying so hard to be hopefully. But when I eat or drink the pain is an instant reminder. Talking also irrates the area for my tongue seems to rub up against it. If I talk alot the gum becomes inflamed and then swells alittle. After I saw the dentist I have to admitt I had a good cry..I have to get through this,I keep telling my self. Work helps for I get my mind off of it.
Well thats my story, I'm so sorry you had to have a RC. Between your mouth and mine we certainly have seen to many battles.There has to be an end in sight.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Why did you have to sign papers? What was the oral surgeon concerned about? Were you signing a release and if so, for what?

I am so sorry you are going through this. I am not quite understanding what the problem is. Is the bone not healing?

I totally understand not being able to eat. I have actually lost about 18 pounds and on a little person that is a lot! I have my bottom partial, but can't get the top one until November. So, can't really chew on either side in the back and the root canal was done in the front. Oh yippee, eating is not fun at all. I eat a lot of mush and try to find things that are tasty and really appealing - really good soups, noodles, puddings, applesauce, crab cakes, etc. The Magic Bullet had become my friend!

It is good that you had a good cry. It helps to heal - the body and the emotions, and I certainly don't blame you at all. Dealing with pain all the time is so very hard and exhausting as well. Yes, it will end. What are you taking for pain? I will not take the pain medications that are given out all the time - can't stand the spacey feeling. I may hurt, but I want to be able to function and enjoy what I can. I hope you are able to do the same. I just take Advil. The Actonel that long ago and for such a short space of time should not be a major issue, but I would ask your dentist about it.

I am thinking about you and I am so sorry. Eat light, don't talk too much, and know you have a pot hole buddy!

glowing4

Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

plc HB User

Hey glowing4, The papers I sign were in regards to using medications for osteo. Releasing the oral surgeon of respondibility in regards to complications because I had taken them. This problem I have is the gum ruptured on the other side of the extraction. Think of a bubble,it pops and leaves an opening. Well it did,and the opening I have is exposed bone,it not very big but when food or liquid comes in contact,ouch! It is low enough also that the tongue rubs up against when talking. Therefore from the constant irritation of my tongue and nourishment, by night fall you have one swollen nasty area. As for pain pills I am not on any. He told me advil,tylenol etc will not do anything.He gave me a mouthwash to use after eating,tastes awful,and helps alittle for about an hour. If I do not drink,eat or talk for about four hours the discomfort goes away. Therfore when I wake up no pain! No problems. The first sip of liquid of food we start all over again. And it doesn't matter if it is hot cold or luke warm. I have tryed a straw to direct the liquid away, some help not much. So here I am,the only good thing about this is weight loss. I wanted to loss 10 lbs,but not like this. I feel bad you had to have another procedure. I think the two of us have had enough. If I was a drinking person, by the time this is all over I would have to join AA. But I'm not. Thanks for listening to my tale, I have a chopper that I have been using, but my husband just told me he order me the magic bullet. You have been so kind,I hope this is it for both of us...

Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Oh my, oh my. I am so, so sorry. This must be awful. I can totally sypmathize as I have had so much dental pain these last few months and eating is such a challenge. I am awaiting a partial, so chewing is almost non existant, and then it was a front tooth that needed the root canal (sensitive to cold and generally sensitive) so drinking or eating anything cool was hard. OK, what to eat and how to eat! Had it done on Wednesday and it is still sensitive.

Why can they not pack this area like they do for a dry socket? Are they not similar? A dry socket leaves bone exposed after an extraction. I have heard about the mouthwashes for what you are experiencing and that it needs to take time to heal. Just wish they could do something more to give you some relief.

Glad you are getting thre Magic Bullet - it does help grind things up good to be able to eat. How kind of your husband.

Yes, we have had enough. Sooner or later you and I will need a "victory over dental pain" celebration.

Yours in sympathy, understanding, and pot hole dramas!

glowing4

Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
(female)

plc HB User

hey pot hole buddy, I ask for a dental bandage,it stays on for about 5 days,He said no,not yet he wants to see if it will heal on its on. also the bandage could cause the gum to receed more at this time. as for packing the area is not that deep and packing would not stay in. Trust me I ask for it all. The discomfort is like having a canker sore that won't heal. Thanks for the tips though. As for your senstivity have you tryed syndone(spelling) toothpaste. It really helps. I had a tooth after a procedure that acted like yours,I use to smear the toothpaste all over the gum near the tooth and it worked. Took about 3 weeks for it to go away. Nothing is easy when it comes to teeth.
As for a partial, I'm up for one on that side, however till this problem goes away a partial is my dreams. Let's hope this week well be better regarding our discomfort.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I am so sorry that they can't put something in there to seal it off. It is very hard to patient when one is in pain. I am sending good thoughts that it heals faster than they think. Don't you want to shout - enough already!!

My root canal is still pretty sensitive - not pain, but does ache off an on and sensitive to cold. The dentist is going to try a different antibiotic today and we will see if it settles down. Of course, so much in my mouth is sore at this point that it is hard to tell. I get those little zingers like nerves going off all the time. My husband says, and he is probably right, that I haven't gone two weeks without something being done!

Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you. Some day our pot holes will all get filled in!

glowing4

Old 09-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
(female)

plc HB User

Hi Glowling 4, Well the pain is becoming more then I can handle.I call my dentist and told him the irritation on the side of my tongue is so sore It is now effecting my swallowing.(this irritation is cause by the expoused bone,not only is it expoused but splinter alittle,major pot hole) My dentist is off today,but the covering dentist saw me and told me to make a mixture of equal parts of maalox and bendryl take a q-tip and put it on the side of my tongue that hurts. I'm to do this 15 mins before eating. He told me the maalox coats the area and the bendryl will take down the inflamation. Well I did this before supper, I was able to eat!!!!without pain!!! It only lasted for hour...But I ate and ate..(Wish I could chew better...baby steps right?) I wish my other dentist had told me this...He told me to use this just before eating,for 1 week..Then he wants me to make appt. with my regular dentist.I am so happy that I could finally eat a meal after weeks without major,pain.I had to write and tell you. I hope this is a sign of healing. I guess you could say I'm spreading alittle "tar" on my pot hole...I hope all is going well with you.You are in my thoughts....

Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

plc - That is great! I am so glad you could eat without pain. Isn't it amazing what something so simple can do to ease pain and isn't it equaling amazing that more dentists don't tell us these simple tricks!!! What a smart guy you saw and how great that he was able to help you. Yeah for you! I am so glad!

I am still dealing with aches and zingers. Nothing like the pain of infections, but I can not get my mouth to calm down. My husband said that my mind is always in my mouth and he is so right - he said it kindly. It is hard to shift it to other places when things are still so uncomfortable. And, I am always scared that it is something else. One could say I am afraid to hit another pot hole!

Enjoy your eating. That is GREAT!

glowing4

Closed Thread