It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

TinaN HB User
What about what I want...

Hello all, I'm new here and I feel so lucky to have come across such a great board! I've felt all alone with my dental issues for years

Anyway, I'm 26 years old, and I believe I need dentures. Every tooth in my mouth has a cavity in it according to my dentist and my teeth are so crooked they hurt, I've had a root canal on one of my front teeth which actually did more worse then good, the dentist built the tooth up too much and now its moved out of place, permanently. She also insisted that it did not need to be capped...since when doesn't a root canal need to be capped

Anyway, I've always had trouble with my teeth ever since I was really young. I want to be able to actually smile infront of people. I haven't smiled in a pic since I became self conscious about my teeth when I was about 14. I've always had very sensitive teeth too, when I was 15 I had an orthodontist give me appliances to widen my pallets for braces but I couldn't wear them, he threatened to cement them in my mouth if I didn't wear them 24/7 even though they were really painful so I never went back. Good thing too, because he told my mother and I that I wouldn't have wisdom teeth...funny how they made their appearance a few years later, so even if I would have gotten the braces, the wisdom teeth would have definitely pushed my teeth too close again.

I pretty much didn't go to a dentist again because of that whole experience of him threatening to cement the damn things in my mouth etc. and he was just pretty mean with everything all the time so I was scared...over the years my teeth just got worse and worse, and I do try to take care of them the best I can but the way they are crooked makes it really hard to get every place with a tooth brush.

Out of what seemed like the blue one day I noticed a big cavity in the side of one of my front teeth where it overlaps another tooth. So I go to the dentist, she does a root canal, and this dentist I actually really do like alot she is very nice and gentle and makes sure I'm nice and numbed up before doing anything, but shes very young and I would say about my age lol and I feel like she does know what shes doing but at the same time I feel like I want someone whos been in practice much longer. When she built up my tooth the end result doesn't even look like the shape of a tooth really, and the color is off, my bites off, etc. and she wants to slowly do one filling at a time, a month and a half apart in the mean time my teeth are rotting out of my head

I went to see a cosmetic dentist because I really did think they were salvageable about a year ago, before all of these caries started visibly forming. Basically, it would take about 2 years worth of work and about 10,000 dollars for what they wanted to do to save my teeth (fillings and root canals, then braces, then veneers) and I would have to have my teeth redone every ten years for another enormous price. I told him I don't want to go through all of it and I really don't have all that much money and asked if dentures or implants were an option. he said no because he wants to save my teeth...same as my other dentist. I don't want to save my teeth. They, in my opinion aren't salvageable and even if they are, I know I will just keep having the same problems and have to get more and more and more dental work.

Are there any dentists out there who will just give me what I want? My teeth are rediculously sensitive even before the cavities they were, they are rotting, basically and I don't have the kind of money they want and I'm like most people and am horrible at going to the dentist regularly in the first place. I can't smile, can't eat most things and I don't want my teeth. For some reason what I want doesn't seem to matter to the dentists, anyone else ever have this problem? Its not that I WANT dentures, I would love to have been blessed with a beautiful smile and stronger teeth but I wasn't, and I know whats best for me...I just don't know if there are any dentists out there who would respect what I want to do and feel the need for.

Last edited by TinaN; 09-29-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: What about what I want...

Dentists have to try to preserve teeth and while you may not think any of yours are worth the time and trouble, it is hard for them to see the same thing. They are trying to give you all options but I think if you sat down with one of them and explained from your perspective why you think dentures are the right thing for you and that you understand and accept the implications of dentures they may grant you your wish.

You have to understand that once they remove your teeth, they are gone forever. No turning back. Sure implants down the line might be an option but look into what you want as thoroughly as you can, go in armed with information and be prepared to listen. You need a consultation appointment not a treatment appointment first.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
(female)

TinaN HB User

Thanks Sandybeech, I didn't even think of going in armed with knowledge...I just feel like I know whats right for me, and I know most people who say they want dentures want a quick fix but I'm thinking long term lol and I know that my natural teeth would be gone forever, and if I ever do find someone who would take atleast half of mine out I would say good riddance! I do have some savable teeth and I don't want all of them gone, just the ones that seem to be falling apart from the inside

Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
asked if dentures or implants were an option. he said no because he wants to save my teeth...same as my other dentist. I don't want to save my teeth. They, in my opinion aren't salvageable and even if they are, I know I will just keep having the same problems and have to get more and more and more dental work.
I am of the option that you should do all you can to try to save your original teeth, there is nothing as strong as your own teeth. I would get another opinion and see if the new dentist can save your teeth. Most dentists have low cost financing options. Remember, once you pull a tooth, you can never replace it and you will lose the bone over the years making dentures hard to fit/stay in. Crowns and veneers will last a lot longer than 10 years these days, especially if you brush, floss and rinse at least daily (better twice a day). Oh yea, professional cleanings twice a year or more are a must too.

Good luck!

Do you floss and rinse with a good mouthwash daily?

Closed Thread