It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

artistchick HB User
Question my wisdom tooth removal other options?

im 17 and i recently been having pain with my wisdom tooth my ortho has told me thatboth my lower wisdom teeth are growing in croooked and that they should be taken out
since i was never a big fan of needles in my cheek i completely dodged it and nothing really happened well last friday the 5th i started having pains of a new tooth coming in but i still thought of it as nothing it wasnt bad till now but i can still handing the pain but its sidetracking me from my school work but now i feel a very slight pain in my right ear is that bad? i have dental insurance so i have no problems there
i want to make an appoinment very soon but school is really important right now and i cant afford to rest until the 19th is that waiting 2 long?
i am a very big chicken when it comes to needles in my mouth i read about a pill the the oral surgeon prescribes u to take an hour b4 the appointment has anyone tried this does it really work does anyone know of ways to help me out ? becouse i just need courage he is a very good surgeon who takes out wisdom teeth in 15 minutes so i just need something to help me with anxiety
so any advice i would greatly appreciate it

[Please use full words in the future, so that the messages can be easily understood by all. Read more about this, by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-08-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
(female)

urhee HB User
Re: my wisdom tooth removal other options?

Hi, don't worry so much. It's better to have your wisdom teeth removed while you're still young. I did it at the age of 36, and it's bad. Not all succeede to be removed. One is left with the root still in my gum. I'm now waiting 6 months to see if the root can be removed without surgery.

I'm in Indonesia, so I don't know the procedure in your country. If you're living in a richer country, I'm sure the doctor is much sophisticated than in my country. If you have any doubts with your present doctor, go see other dentist to have second opinion. I was under local sedation, so I go through worse experience as I saw and still feel what happened. After the tooth extraction, the pain's surely unbearable. But the dentist give drug to reduce we're feeling the pain. It is now day 4 after my wisdom tooth extraction, and I'm still having a little pain. But I don't think much of it. Everytime I'm feeling pain, I used one glass of water + I table spoon of salt to cleansed my teeth and it worked. Got to eat soft food for a while, if you're feeling unbearable pain just take the medicine. You'll have no problem in doing your daily life and study. Good luck, hope my sharing of experience can help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

hi artistchick, funny i read this post 8 hours of having my upper right wisdom tooth removed, I also had the lower right taken out after it got infected two months ago, and I had just had brain surgery at that time. Four years ago I had the left side wisdoms teeth taken out at the same time and today I can surely tell u is worth getting it done; the earlier the better expecialy due to ur age, the yaw bone would heal faster. Yes in my first experience it was painful but for the first day, and the last two I just had taken out I used no pain killers at all. As long as the surgeon is a profesional, and is not rough, It will b a piece of cake I didnt even feel the 2 needles he used in my mouth today. is very imortant to get them out because I told by my surgeon 5 months ago, they will become infected in the future worst case scenario the infection can reach the person's brain (Im not playing) i researched it. Hey I wish u the best, but it wont b that bad.. Let us know how u do

Last edited by 030free; 10-10-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

artistchick,

I also was not looking forward to having my wisdom teeth removed in my early 20's (I'm 58 now). My dentist explained that modern human jaws are usually not large enough to accommodate the regular set of adult teeth as well as the wisdom teeth which come in later. This means that the wisdom teeth will crowd out the other teeth, making the other teeth crooked. There is a greater chance of infection with the wisdom teeth, because they often only partially come out, and because it is really hard to clean them waaaay back in the mouth.

It was not a pleasant experience having my wisdom teeth removed. It was actually a horrible experience. But at your age perhaps it's time to learn to balance short-term discomfort with loooong-term problems later in life. The discomfort that you might feel now in the dentist's chair means that the wisdom teeth will never bother you again.

When I went in to have it done, I was really scared. So I asked the dentist what he did for little kids to make them feel better. He said that he gave them a balloon twisted in the shape of an animal and he gave them a red heart sticker that said "Be kind to me today. I've been to the dentist." or words to that effect. I thought for a moment and said that I would pass on the balloon, but I sure as heck wanted that sticker. I wore it prominantly the rest of the day and made sure that I got lots of sympathy from everybody at work.

When you're ready to face the dentist, don't hesitate to ask for whatever you need to make you feel better. Dentists know that what they do is traumatic for us. They also know that they are performing an important service. Your dentist will not tell you that you're being silly for asking to be pampered with balloons or stickers or whatever he gives little kids. He will be glad that you are facing up to a problem now, rather than waiting for years until your teeth are crooked and you have cavities in your wisdom teeth because you can't get the brush and floss back that far. He'll pamper you.

It's not a fun thing to face up to. But it will save lots of other problems down the line.

<<<hugs>>>

--Rheanna

[Please do not use cuss/slang words. Saying "horrible" or "terrible" is more acceptable, as edited above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-09-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

I just had 3 wisdom teeth removed yesterday. Go to an oral surgeon who uses nitrous (AKA laughing gas) and you'll forget needles even existed. They can also give you meds to make you forget the entire experiance. It's really not that bad.

Closed Thread