It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
(male)

Pokiebear1278 HB User
How long can a cavity go before needing a root canal?

I've had lots of work done on my teeth. I had my wisdom teeth out at 14, two expanders (metal things you need to turn with a key to make your jaw bigger) and then braces for two years. Right before I was due to get my braces off my dentist told me I had a slight cavity coming in. But, I hate my dentist and decided not to get it filled because I was afraid he would break my braces (since they were broken just from a cleaning once.) So, I put it off and then got my braces off about 2 weeks later. After having terrible looking teeth most of my life, I was so happy when I had a beautiful smile. Anyway, I totally forgot about the cavity that my dentist said I had. He reminded me again at my last cleaning, and I set up the appointment but my grandma died the day before it so I never went. Now it is time for a cleaning again (over due by a few months because of my grandma's death and starting school...I've just been forgetting about it.) Anyway, I am going to a new dentist now since I can't stand my old one to get a cleaning. I know I have a cavity, so I'm going to tell her so she can fill it as soon as she can. It doesn't bother me at all and doesn't look any different (and I know what tooth it is.) Ice cold water and hot tea do nothing to it, chewing doesn't bother it, sucking in air has no effect...nothing. It's been a little over a year and a half since he told me I had the cavity. Since it doesn't hurt at all it was so hard to remember! Anyway, my question is...since I have let it go so long does that mean I need a root canal? I've had one before, but had extreme pain which made me realize something was wrong...but that was 6 years ago. This time I really feel nothing. I've even poked around at it seeing if I felt pain, but nothing. Does this mean I probably just need a filling still? I have to have all of this done by Christmas because I am going away and don't want it to start bothering me then (which it probably would with my luck).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if it sounds like I'll probably still need just a filling. I know only the dentist can tell me, but what does anyone else think? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

soliloquy HB User
Re: How long can a cavity go before needing a root canal?

It's most likely that you just need a filling since you don't have any pain/symptoms with that tooth. You do need to follow through with getting it filled because the cavity will slowly get bigger and closer to the nerve with time.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
(male)

Pokiebear1278 HB User

Thank you, I'm sure that's all I need too. My boyfriend is coming into town (long distance relationship) next weekend, so I'm scheduling an appointment for hopefully the following weekend. I assume I'll need a cleaning first (I'm 2 months overdue), then hopefully get the filling so I can be all caught up before I go to my boyfriends home in Chicago for Christmas. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

oh id be stunned of u needed a root canal! i was expecting you to say its been 10 yrs since this happened...a few yrs back my dentist told me i was getting a tiny cav and not to bother with it till next yr and brush really well and thats what i did! u will be fine

Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
(male)

Pokiebear1278 HB User

Haha, no...not 10 years. About a year and a half...I think. But not any more than two years. Thanks for the reply. It only hurts when I think about it...so...I'm guessing it doesn't really hurt haha. Thanks a lot.

Closed Thread