It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

audra1 HB User
One lonely grey tooth!

I had a veneer put on my one of my teeth about ten years ago because it was pushed further back than the the others and I wanted to create the appearance of more stream-lined teeth. Now I have lingual braces and I had the veneer 'shaved down' about 3 months ago and my tooth is slightly grey. Is this normal and will it correct itself or is there anything I can do to corrrect it? My orthodontist checked the sensitivity of it and it has definately not 'died'. I reacted very strongly to the liquid he dabbed on it to check for sensitivity!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: One lonely grey tooth!

An endodontist might have better technology to check the nerve of a tooth - sensitivity is not the only way to verify if the nerve has died or not. I had a front tooth "die" after some facial trauma when younger and the tooth turned grey but never hurt or anything. After a year of being called "the girl with the grey tooth" my mom finally had some extra money to send me to an endo who did a root canal and then bleached the tooth internally and it was actually a bit whiter than my other teeth but at least it wasn't grey anymore.

The prepping for the vaneer may have caused the nerve of the tooth to slowly die - or its also possible that what you are now seeing since the vaneer has been shaved down is what is left of your natural tooth that was prepped for the vaneer - usually the surface enamel is filed down so the cement and vaneer have a better surface to adhere to. And this would make your natural tooth appear grey or darkened as well. If this is the case you may have to have a new vaneer done or some bonding, if bleaching the tooth itself is not an alternative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
(female)

audra1 HB User
Re: One lonely grey tooth!

Hi Thelma-Louise,

Thanks for your response. When the veneer was put on, the dentist didn't shave the surface enamel down before putting the veneer on. He simply put the veneer directly onto the tooth. I'm thinking that perhaps a few months ago, the orthodontist shaved the veneer back too far - this could be a possibility. Looks like I might need a new veneer or bonding as you say or it might respond to bleaching. I did bleach the other teeth whilst I had the veneer on so this might also account for the difference in colour but I can't remember the rest of my teeth being grey! This lonley grey teeth is only a very light grey but still noticeable. I hope it responds to bleaching as I would prefer to have all of my own teeth, without veneers etc, now that I am having them straightened.

Closed Thread