It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

Alesis HB User
Question Toothache spread from tooth to ear/left side of face?

Hi:

I was given Clindamycin (antibiotic) after presenting to the dentist with a nasty toothache. To make a long story short, I need my bottom two back teeth out and a root canal one of my top teeth -- all on the left side.

I have been taking the medicine for several days now. However, the pain has spread into the left-hand side of my face to the point where I get shooting pains through my ear canal.

The pain is all over the left side of my face...cheek...jaw...even down to the neck a little bit...

Should I be worried? Has anyone experienced this kind of pain with a toothache before? If so, what kind of treatment did you receive?

The Clindamycin has taken the edge off the pain, (thus I can assume that whatever infection I've got has gone down); however since the pain has spread, does it sound like my infection is spreading?

Thanks,

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 10-27-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

LdyNY HB User
Re: Toothache spread from tooth to ear/left side of face?

In April I began to have pain starting in my jaw. It then moved up and down my face, and began to go down my neck.

I went to the dentist, and he told me that since my one wisdom tooth there was still partly impacted, there was an infection underneath the tooth and it had spread down my jaw and neck.

After removing the tooth, and taking the antibiotics it SLOWLY got better. It took some time, but after the tooth was removed I felt some immediate relief.

Also the muscles may be tightening up due to the pain and or trauma there. Have you had the teeth pulled already?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

Hi,
I just had a tooth extracted today that was causing extreme pain that radiated into my ear and my neck. Turns out my tooth was abscessed. The pain is probaly from any infection that might be in your mouth.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

Alesis HB User

Thank you for your replies.

I have not had the teeth pulled yet. I had my wisdom teeth out in 2003...not sure if this sheds any light on my situation...

I am almost done with the antibiotics (tomorrow's the last day) and I am in almost as much pain as I was before I started them.

A.

Last edited by Alesis; 10-30-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Closed Thread