It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

Danitom HB User
Dental trauma and the necessity of root canals

my daughter is 9. She ran into a bar that was the same height as her top teeth. She broke one tooth, and three others were tilted back in her mouth. She fractured the bones that hold her teeth in place. The dentist/oral surgeon pulled them back out, into place and stabilized them with wires and some kind of bonding agent. Tomorrow will be a week ago. They are basically trying to keep them in position while the bone heals......my question is regarding root canals......are they necessary? She goes to an endodontist on Monday for evaluation but what endodontist is going to take money out of his own pocket by saying she doesn't NEED THEM!?!?! I was told by a friend who has recently completed a college course to be a dental assistant that if it were her child, she would not allow the root canals until/unless the tooth showed signs of dying (discoloration/blister on gumline, etc) I don't know what to do or how to question the endodontist.....has anyone had a similar situation? THANKS in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

Loud HB User
Re: Dental trauma and the necessity of root canals

Hello, Danitom. I am so sorry your daughter had to go through this! My daughter was about her age when she suffered a terrible trauma to her top front teeth, also. She was starting to climb out of a swimming pool, when another child came up behind her and slammed her mouth down on the edge of the pool. One of her front teeth broke in half; the other had cracks in it. If I remember correctly, our dentist did a root canal on the tooth that cracked in half. That tooth needed a crown; the other tooth was filled in somehow.... I would just listen to what the endondtist says: if he says your daughter needs a root canal, ask why...and voice your thoughts on this matter to him...see what he says. I myself injured my two bottom teeth when I was a child. I walked into a pole at school! My dad didn't take me to a dentist: though a couple of years later I did develop an abcess in those two teeth, and needed a root canal. Years later I finally got those teeth crowned.This pole incident happened to me around 40 years ago, and I suffered no ill effects from having the root canals; neither did my daughter with hers. I hope your daughter makes a full recovery! Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

Danitom HB User

thank you for your reply. I will try to update Monday after the appointment

Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I would avoid any unnecessary root canal, since they actually kill the tooth, and leave the tooth bone in place. Once the tooth is destroyed that way, it can never be restored. There's also a known risk of failure with root canals. For some root canals, infections can make things worse. I would ask around first, before making any decisions. Check with other dentists too.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

Danitom HB User

THANK YOU both for your replies. The endodontist said that two of the teeth involved were in fact, already dead and would need root canals. One other is questionable. They did x-rays and put ice to her teeth. She couldn't feel the ice in the two they are saying are dead. Her regular dentist said he was pretty sure that would be the case because of the force of the hit, it wasn't surprising that it killed the teeth like that. She is set up for Monday but he said to watch and make sure she doesn't get any swelling/pain in the teeth before then or we may have to bump them up sooner......

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
(male)

Giuliano HB User

Hi Rhody,
I have the same experience as you. It makes perfect sense and the doctors do not know about it. I will remove all my amalgams. What should I do before? You mention marshmallow root. What about the second food that is beneficial?
Tell me more about the path I should follow.
Thank you
Giuliano

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

Hi,

It's been a long time since I posted. You've probably read about some of my messages...about how I associated my pains with a broken tooth and the breakup of the amalgam and so forth. It's a very long story.

Before I had my 8 dental amalgams replaced, I changed my diet and took many different herbs. Marshmallow root was such a good one. There's others like Queen of the Meadow, Burdock Root, Gotu Kola, Damiana, Gravel Root, and a small amount of Ginger.

After I had the 8 dental amalgams replaced with porcelain fillings, I continued with my healthy diet and herbs. But one time I made the mistake of taking anti-mercury compounds and got very very sick. But the herbs were always gentle for me.

There's a protocol recommended by some when removing these mercury fillings, but I just had them removed quadrant by quadrant, two in each quadrant. I asked for dental dam, and I believe that they vacuumed my mouth during the procedure. I told them that I had a sensitivity to these metal fillings. Care has to be taken during this dental process, to reduce any more exposure to the mercury.

Since at the time, so many people still thought it was safe to have this dangerous metal in our mouth, I just told them I wanted white fillings for cosmetic purposes. Getting rid of those poisonous things was the best thing I could do. Never again have I had those types of headaches or muscle pains. It's been so long ago, that part of me wants to forget, but I suppose I should always remember...remember so that I can help others that might be also going through the same thing. I hope that helps.

Just a little edit: Some of the anti-mercury foods are raw garlic and cilantro. You can add them to your other foods which can give you a nice taste too. You can read more about those foods from other sources. Some people recommend that you don't use these foods extensively until after you have had the source of mercury poisoning removed from your teeth.

Last edited by rhody; 05-27-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread