It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

LovelyOne HB User
NEVER get a root canal :(

For a little history, with any dental work 1 tiny shot of barely any novicane would work for me, even my abcessed tooth and when my teeth were pulled. I just got back from the dentists office and had a root canal, i REGRET it 100% already. Right when I get in she gives me the shot and I almost screamed because they have to give it to u in the nerve. She starts drilling and I feel it to the point of i smacked her hand on accident because of the pain. She then gives me more and more and more and I keep feeling the pain so she says "one more bit and then ill give u more" as the pain gets even worse. She starts with those little wire things and starts cleaning out the roots or w/e she is doing, she cant get into a root because it was calcified. She calls my dentist in and he says it might not take, the cavity went for so long that your body has calcifed it to protect the root. So she keeps digging, by this time my jaw is KILLING me my face and everything is numb but it still hurt like hell and she kept giving me shot after shot until finally I just gritted and bared it so it could be done with. 1 hour later it was almost finished, she tells me it was infected UMMMMMMMM hello this is why you take these digital xrays so u can see things like this. anyway, we do some more xrays, she starts to finish off and my god this part is what hurt the worst! She starts closing it all up and dont know why but i felt every bit of it. My face/head/neck is numb but NOT where i had my root canal. ITs been 1 hour now since i was done, i will update you on how im feeling in a day or maybe later tonight who knows.

Just wanted to warn you all getting an abcessed tooth pulled was a LOT less painful, cracking my teeth to the exposed root was less painful, hell shoving my foot into a glass door cutting down to the bone was less painful. Think twice about the root canal.

[Please do use cuss/slang words. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-30-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

atchoo HB User
Re: NEVER get a root canal :(

Hm. I've had one. There was not much pain during the procedure and very little afterwards. And I got rid of an abscess & an infection and got to keep the tooth.

When your tooth is very infected, it's extremely difficult to get it numb. That is why the procedures hurt more when there's a bad infection going on. Perhaps that was the problem with your procedure. I'm sorry you're in pain and hope you feel better soon!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

I have read that i may be rejecting it which i hope not :\ All this pain for nothing would really **** me off. I've had a BAD abcess to the point of my face swelling and that got numb 1 shot no pain a tiny bit of throbbing afterwards but this is different and extremely painful. During it she said it might not take because its too far down then said she couldnt get in all the way because of the calcification so i hope she did it "right." Thanks for the sympathies glad yours went ok!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

ive had quite a few root canals.and never had any problems or pain while they done it ! in fact i would rather have all my nerves taken out of all teeth,so thee will never be any pain again

what i think they should of done is gave you a course of anti biotics first and some pain killers,which i would of thought with an abcess
and if it was that bad they would take the tooth out rather than do a root canal?

i'm really sorry youve had bad experience witha root canal

know myself how bad teeth pain is ,been in pain for a few years now with either teeth or gums and i cant seem to get a decent dentist to help me

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ohiogent HB User

Having a root canal by a competent doctor is essential. I just had one done and the only procedure this doctor performs are root canals. She was very thorough and helped me get through the procedure.

If a root canal is needed and it is not done, the infections can actually cause heart disease and can cause death.

It has been a couple days since my root canal and I am so glad I got it done.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, since you refer to the "dentist" who did it as opposed to the "endodontist" it would appear that might be the problem. Endos only do root canals and I would never let a general dentist do one. My BIL is an endo and you should hear the horror stories of root canals gone awry by general dentists that he has to try and straighten out.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
(female)

Amystika HB User

I too would never have a root canal again but I think I am just very biased. If you go to an endodontist who knows very well what they are doing then things should be fine. My problem was I was between dentists at the time and the guy who ended up doing mine was AWFUL. My new dentist thinks I didn't need the root canal at all. I had just a very small cavity. No pain at all! My x-rays before the root canal was done have "been lost" according to the dentist's office when my new office called to see them.

I agree too that only endodontists should be performing root canals. My new dentist will not do them.

During the procedure the dentist popped my right jaw joint and how I have TMJ. The root canal also triggered the start of my Fibromyalgia so now here I am, 23 years old, and I have to live the rest of my life with a chronic pain illness all because of a ROOT CANAL.

My advice? Seriously think twice about this procedure. I would never ever have one done again.

Last edited by Amystika; 11-06-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

I've had three of them without any issues, all done with regular and honestly very cheap dentists without anything going wrong. But I agree it's not something to do without being absolutely sure about needing, I think some dentists are quick to judge.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
(female)

dday2317 HB User

I have had a couple root canals, and just passed on 2 more. Can Fibro really occur from this? Just wondering as I was just diagnosed with Fibro about a year ago.

Last edited by dday2317; 11-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Closed Thread