It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

dementedpants HB User
Gauze or something?

I recently (yesterday, in fact) had to go to an oral/maxillofacial surgeon to have a wisdom tooth removed (soft tissue impaction, cavity, didn't want to come out for the life of it).

Anyway, at the end of the surgery, doc put a couple of pieces of something in my mouth - the first one was sort of a brownish color with green down the middle, and the second one was basically what looks like a tiny gauze pellet.

My question is, what are those for, and how long should I expect them to stay in?

I'm not worried about them, but the internet has thus far failed to yield any other possible explanation than

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Gauze or something?

Hi there,

I recently had a wisdom tooth removed myself, and I have to go back next week to have one more taken out. I didn't go to a surgeon though, my dentist just did it in his office and used the "freezing" technique, which I have to say I'm very glad I went this route--very little discomfort, and a heck of a lot cheaper! Anyway--I think it's probably gauze, and at this point you've probably already taken it out, but just for future reference you only need to keep it in while the removal site is heavily bleeding. On a sheet of paper I got it said to apply pressure on the area the tooth was removed to help with clot formation, and when it appears that the bleeding has slowed significantly (normally within the hour), you can take the gauze out. Sorry this post has come so late!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

dementedpants HB User
Re: Gauze or something?

When I went back to have the suture checked up on, I asked about it. It was a medicated dressing to help protect the clot and prevent dry socket.

The more you know!

Closed Thread