It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User
Intense Pain in front tooth - Nerve issues? I'm at a loss!

Hello all,

My name is Jeremy, and I have just started having intense pain in my front tooth,as of early last week.. It is my right hand, "K-9" (?) The one immediately right of my right-front tooth. As of today, if I even pull cool air into my mouth by way of breathing and it passes over that tooth, I get an intense pain. Forget eating or drinking anything cold!! That pain lasts for almost a minute after I have swallowed whatever it is! I also have noticed that pressing on my face, kind of right beisde the end of my nostril, will produce pain in that tooth as well.. From what I have been reading, this indicates a nerve issue?

A little backround:

When I was 14, I was coming home from school, and going up the outside stairs to my apartment (we lived onthird floor).. I got halfway up the first flight of stairs, tripped, and essentially bit the corner of the step (think.. "curb-checking..) I had to have emergency dental surgery that night to save my two front teeth, and had my jaw wired for a few weeks.. My two front teeth have since been "broken" but not really.. dead I guess.. I know I have cavaties in my other teeth. I am not going to front, and try to pretend I take good care of my teeth. I am ashamed of how they look, but up until this last year, I didn't even have dental insurance to do anything about them.. I brush my teeth, but haven't been to a detist in years. I am nervous that if I go to a dentist, they are going to try to just get their money, and not take care of my issues. I was planning on getting my teeth fixed finally towards the end of this year, but now I think I need to start looking sooner. This pain is really intense!! it shoots up and now the roof of my mouth is even sore..

I have had the issue of "bad teeth" for a while now, and have also started to have other health related issues in the digestion and food processing areas (wake up every morning very sickto my stomach.. vomiting almost every single morning for 2 years..) but this is the first time I have had pain in my mouth due to it.. I have other bigger teeth in the back (top and bottom) that have .. "holes" right on the side of them (at the gumline).. I figure these are cavaties, and I have probabyl 4 that I can count..

Sorry to go on and on, just trying to give as much info as I can. I can take pictures too, if that would help.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeremy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User
Re: Intense Pain in front tooth - Nerve issues? I'm at a loss!

Ok well, apparently I am doing something wrong, or have rubbed some people the wrong way? I can't seem to get any responses from anyone on the topics I posted in various forums here on HB.com... So I apologize if I have done something incorrectly..

Either way, I went in today (to the dentist). He said I have an abscess [and then made a circle-shape with his fingers about the size of a dime] "this big."
Have root canal's on thursday early in the AM. Will be on antibiotics until and throughout that time, I s'pose (just dropped off the Rx before coming back to work).. I am anxious to see if having this taken care of will help my overall health. I will update this thread, if anyone cares to read it

-Jeremy

Old 11-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Jeremy, I would certainly think that the front tooth has a nerve problem. The sensation you describe sounds like it. Don't wait to have it checked as living with that kind of pain is not good or healthy. Not to worry, I good dentist will take care of it for you and not attempt to rip you off. You might need a root canal and a crown. As for your other teeth, here again a good dentist will set up a plan for you and advise as to what you need done. Usually they will take care of the more pressing problems first. You can space that work out so that you are not being hit too hard financially all at one time.

I am concerned about the stomach sickness you are having. Have you seen a doctor for this and are you sure it is coming from your teeth? If so, it is time to get them fixed. You need to be able to eat and eat healthily. Is it possible you are swallowing an infection from a tooth while you sleep? This can make you feel sick to your stomach and it is not wise to have infection floating in your body like that.

Go see a good dentist and get these things taken care of. Your quality of life is important!

glowing4

Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Jeremy, I posted before I saw your latest post, sorry. I am so glad you went to the dentist and that he gave you antibiotics. You should be feeling better soon. Also glad that you are getting the root canal. All of these things will help you very much. It should also help your over all health. Infections, even in teeth, can make you feel very sick.

Let us know how you do. So glad you got the help you needed.

glowing4

Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
(male)

jeremiabullfrog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
Jeremy, I would certainly think that the front tooth has a nerve problem. The sensation you describe sounds like it. Don't wait to have it checked as living with that kind of pain is not good or healthy. Not to worry, I good dentist will take care of it for you and not attempt to rip you off. You might need a root canal and a crown. As for your other teeth, here again a good dentist will set up a plan for you and advise as to what you need done. Usually they will take care of the more pressing problems first. You can space that work out so that you are not being hit too hard financially all at one time.

I am concerned about the stomach sickness you are having. Have you seen a doctor for this and are you sure it is coming from your teeth? If so, it is time to get them fixed. You need to be able to eat and eat healthily. Is it possible you are swallowing an infection from a tooth while you sleep? This can make you feel sick to your stomach and it is not wise to have infection floating in your body like that.

Go see a good dentist and get these things taken care of. Your quality of life is important!

glowing4

Thank you for the reply!!!

That is exactly what I have been thinking! That maybe I am swallowing a bunch of nasty while I sleep. I have been vomiting every morning for a while now. Been to the doctor for that, etc.. I made a thread in the "dgiestive Disorders" (or somethimg to that effect) forum, called "Very Confuzzled" I am very eager toget this abcess taken care of, and see if my health improves at all over the next couple weeks /months. I have been taking the antibiotic, like I was told.

I will say, last night STUNK for me for sleep.. Now even colder air passing over the tooth hurts like mad. I tried to fall asleep. Finally did around midnight, and kept waking up cause I had my mouth open and my tooth was throbbing. I think I achieved 3.5 hrs of sleep last night.. I also threw up wretchedly about 4:45 this morning, but I think it is due tothe fact that I had little to eat yesterday ( a sandwich, and some yogurt + cottage cheese), + I took 1500mg (total 3x500mg) of "Amoxicillin."

When the dentist told me about the abcess, he said that is the only real "serious" thing going on in my mouth. I have a few cavaties, but considering the trauma my mouth went through when I was 14, he says my teeth look OK. He did say he has noticed that my enaml is almost completely worn. He wanted to know if I am belemic (sp?). I had to "lol" even though bulemia is not funny. If you were to see me, I have a post-pregnancy "sympathy" tummy. :P Either way, I told him about my morning troubles and that apparently told him all he needed to know. I have a plan now. Will get the root canals done on both front teeth. After the new year will do crowns etc for them. It's sad as I only get 1000$ per year in insurance coverage. The root canal's will eat that up immediately. Then next year I will still owe $1,292.00, AFTER insurance pays out it's $1000.

Medical stuff is very expensive I am starting to find out. Even copays are seemingly becoming outrageous for what I pay into health insurance....

-Jeremy

Last edited by jeremiabullfrog; 11-06-2007 at 08:22 AM.

Closed Thread