It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
(male)

nikryj HB User
Probably Something simple but.....

Hello everyone, I came here beacuse i am worried about what might be wrong with my teeth. My mother has horrible teeth, has had a root canal on almost every tooth in her mouth. I however am lucky because i don't take after her but this time something is wrong. A few days ago, when i was eating dinner, i noticed a sharp pain in one of my molars when i bite down. I'ts not a cavity but im worried it might be serious. I only feel it when i bite down and the pain shoots up my face and i feel it in the sinus cavity behind my eye and even in my ear. It worries me beacuse a lot of sites say it could be tooth decay, cracked tooth, or even an infection in the gum. Can i get yall's opinion on this? I'm 16 and I really hope it's not serious to where i have to get a root canal like my mother.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Probably Something simple but.....

Chances are it is decay or a cavity since it only seems to hurt when you bite down on it which means food may be getting into the hole and causing some pressure. A tooth that needs a root canal generally will ache not only when eating but other times as well - like changes in temperature, when brushing, even just talking. Also it takes a lot to get the nerve of a tooth to die or become infected - usually only trauma from an injury or accident or untreated decay that has been there a very long time and did invade the nerve or canals can cause it. So its best to see the dentist and have it taken care of as soon as possible. In the event the tooth does need a root canal - not all rc's are painful or traumatic - seeing a dr that specializes in them such as an endodontist can make the experience no more painful than having a cavity done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread