It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

huggiebear HB User
Unhappy Help! Denture Problems - need advice please!!

I have for years had bad problems with my teeth - won't bore you with all of these. My problem now is having had nearly all my top teeth removed 2 years ago (I have 5 remaining only) I am getting serious continuing gum disease probs. Also stopped smoking 3 months back - dentist says that this kind of thing does happen (body cleaning itself out etc), having said that, I clean them every day, use tepee brushes, electric toothbrush, the lot and I still have infection. Today went back to see dentist and have been put on 2 lots of antibiotics, she says I will be very sorry if I have the last few teeth removed in that the plate would then be heavier, the bone in my mouth would disappear and the plate would not stay up (it is a plastic plate), biting would be harder etc etc.

What I need some help with please is those of you who already have full upper dentures, how bad is it?? - or not as the case may be. If I fight to keep these teeth I will have to have my whole mouth numbed & all the pockets cleaned every 8 weeks, I don't know what is the best thing to do. I only know how tired I am of trying to win what appears to be a losing battle, look forward to hearing from someone who can give me some advice.
Cheers

Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

Vergie HB User
Smile Re: Help! Denture Problems - need advice please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggiebear View Post
I have for years had bad problems with my teeth - won't bore you with all of these. My problem now is having had nearly all my top teeth removed 2 years ago (I have 5 remaining only) I am getting serious continuing gum disease probs. Also stopped smoking 3 months back - dentist says that this kind of thing does happen (body cleaning itself out etc), having said that, I clean them every day, use tepee brushes, electric toothbrush, the lot and I still have infection. Today went back to see dentist and have been put on 2 lots of antibiotics, she says I will be very sorry if I have the last few teeth removed in that the plate would then be heavier, the bone in my mouth would disappear and the plate would not stay up (it is a plastic plate), biting would be harder etc etc.

What I need some help with please is those of you who already have full upper dentures, how bad is it?? - or not as the case may be. If I fight to keep these teeth I will have to have my whole mouth numbed & all the pockets cleaned every 8 weeks, I don't know what is the best thing to do. I only know how tired I am of trying to win what appears to be a losing battle, look forward to hearing from someone who can give me some advice.
Cheers
Hi Huggiebear,

I've now been wearing my full plates for about 5 months, and VERY HAPPY with them....I would get a 2nd opinion and definnitely find another dentist to do what YOU WANT!!!!...For instance, I barely have any bone ridges left due to arthritis, and have NOT had any teeth worth mentioning, about 5-6 on the top, so the bone loss was tremendous!! I WEAR FULL UPPERS with no problems whatsoever!!! Just use adhesives before inserting them....If you are currently experiencing lots of gum swellings, pains, infections etc....I think you would be far better off removing the causes, and work with dentures!! I believe the synthetic dentures are lighter, and as strong as the porcelins...Again my opinions only, but also have gone thru similar dental/mouth problems as you have....Vergie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Help! Denture Problems - need advice please!!

I would agree with Vergie, if you are having a lot of problems with infections and so forth, I would also have them removed. I have had full dentures for 14 yrs. now and have never regretted getting them. I had 11 teeth cut out and had dentures put in and have so enjoyed no more toothaches, abscesses or gum infections. The top plate was really the easiest one for me, just put some denture adhesive in and go.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

Vergie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayefaye View Post
I would agree with Vergie, if you are having a lot of problems with infections and so forth, I would also have them removed. I have had full dentures for 14 yrs. now and have never regretted getting them. I had 11 teeth cut out and had dentures put in and have so enjoyed no more toothaches, abscesses or gum infections. The top plate was really the easiest one for me, just put some denture adhesive in and go.
Hi Rayfaye,

Couldn't help but noticed the 14 yr. veteran denture wearer!!!! Do you have both the uppers and lowers?...I only have the uppers for now, but will eveentually do the lowers at some point in time when $$$ are made available. I'm always happy to see someone who is totally satisfied with their dentures!

Blessings,
Vergie

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Vergie, yes, I have both top and bottom. I had 11 teeth cut out at one time, they had decayed down to the gums. I had to wait until I got a job with dental insurance. I had them cut out and both sets put in the same day which just so happen to be April Fool's DayThe top plate wasn't bad at all but the bottom was different because it was hard to chew at first. But here's what I did to help heal the bottom gums in order to be able to eat real food again. A woman I worked with at the time told me to buy some Vitamin E gel caps, crack them open and rub the gel on your gums as much as needed. So that's what I did and it helped by healing up my gums. So remember this when you have them done. I know about the money situation, just think 14 yrs. ago both sets costed $700 without insurance. I know now they cost about 3 times that now but don't get the cheap ones. The man who done mine did an excellent job and people can't tell they're false. Also they last longer, my dad has a good set that has lasted him 40 yrs.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
(female)

Vergie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayefaye View Post
Hi Vergie, yes, I have both top and bottom. I had 11 teeth cut out at one time, they had decayed down to the gums. I had to wait until I got a job with dental insurance. I had them cut out and both sets put in the same day which just so happen to be April Fool's DayThe top plate wasn't bad at all but the bottom was different because it was hard to chew at first. But here's what I did to help heal the bottom gums in order to be able to eat real food again. A woman I worked with at the time told me to buy some Vitamin E gel caps, crack them open and rub the gel on your gums as much as needed. So that's what I did and it helped by healing up my gums. So remember this when you have them done. I know about the money situation, just think 14 yrs. ago both sets costed $700 without insurance. I know now they cost about 3 times that now but don't get the cheap ones. The man who done mine did an excellent job and people can't tell they're false. Also they last longer, my dad has a good set that has lasted him 40 yrs.
Hi Rayfaye,

Thanks for the tip!!! I will do just that when the time comes!! Oh my, you did get a deal some 14 yrs. ago with the cost of dentures, but 14 yrs. ago, that was quite a bit of $$$, right!!! The cost of each plate, the dentist charged was 900.00 each, not too, too expensive, cause I know there are other dentist who charges much MORE!! I happen to choose a dentist who was at the time, my daughter's firends, Dad who is a practicing Christian dentist...Wow 11 out at one time?!? When the time comes, 9 will be pulled out, lowers. My Dad wore dentures all his life, but he's been with the Lord for a long, long time now, so I can't ask him any questions. Thank God, this board is here to help each one of us!!! Have a great day!! Blessings...Vergie

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

plasticmouth HB User

Get them all pulled out !. I had all my teeth including my 4 wisdoms extracted in one hit (all 32 teeth/ rotten stumps). I was knocked out for the procedure and came out of it all ok with not much pain, no bleeding or need of any stitches or goars stuffing !!!!!.

I am now 34 and had my dentures since i was 27 ! . I admit the first year at least was hard getting used to them , but i never look back now , i love them, and they look real. Luckily for me too i had an excellent denture tecnician ( not a dentist ) make my dentures, which he got to a perfect fit !. I have never needed any glues or addhesives to hold my dentures in, i actually have problems breaking the seal on the top dentures sometimes - thats how good a job he did of them. My bottom dentures dont 'float' about like everyone said they would. The dentist who removed my teeth tryed to convince me to get 2 titanium studs in my lower gum to clip the bottom denture onto.... never did it , and have never needed to either.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
(female)

huggiebear HB User

Hi, Thankyou so much for your reply. Haven't been back on here since my first visit, but will do now. I have still been unsure what to do, but my top teeth (well the 5 that are left!) are still a horrible infected mess even after allowing my dentist to talk me into having them cleaned every 2 months (for which I need injecting cos I can't stand the pain) when it was hoped the pockets may start to heal up (also I have stopped smoking - nearly 6 months now!! - really chuffed). Doesn't seem to have helped this situation though, so I go next week and am going to say its time for them to go!! It really is so nice to know there are people out there who have been through the same thing and are so very helpful. I'll keep you posted once its done. Hope all is well with you, and thanks again.
Carrie.

Closed Thread