It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
(male)

MattyS1974 HB User
how to fix a chipped wisdom tooth

I chipped my top right wisdom tooth approximately one year ago. I did not have any problems until about 2 months ago when I chipped another piece of the tooth. It seems that the entire crown of the tooth has been chipped away and I really can't chew anything on that side of my mouth. Recently, I was eating a snack and was using that side to chew. Later, that night (Friday), I felt some pain and it is now Sunday and I am still in pain. When I bite down, it feels as though something is unbalanced and it hurts to bite down. I am deathly afriad to see the dentist but feel that I have no choice now. I am wondering if this tooth can be just pulled out w/out surgery to cut out the tooth? I am also going to ask the dentist to pull all four of my wisdom teeth. If he would have to take out all 4 of my wisdom teeth, how long of a procedure is this? Also, would I be

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User
Re: how to fix a chipped wisdom tooth

If the wisdom teeth are all completely in, then getting them pulled shouldn't be any different than getting a regular tooth pulling. Either way it doesn't take long. I had 3 impacted wisdom teeth all under the gums and it took only a half hour to get them all out.
You may not need anything pulled, you may just need a crown, but most insurances won't cover crowns for that area anyway. You'll definitely have to see a dentist anyway. I would recommend you ask them not to give you epinephrine, AKA adrenaline, which some dentists mix with the novacaine. It's not a nessecary component, it can easily be replaced with other chemicals. But it's basically garenteed to make you even more scared if you have it just by nature of what it does. And do mention at least that you have a natural fear of dentist in general.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
Re: how to fix a chipped wisdom tooth

Matty i'm in a similar position.
I chipped a part of one of the large teeth in the back.
Its 2 teeth ahead of the wisdom tooth on the bottom left.
I want to save the tooth, cause its one of the most important teeth when it comes to eating.
I'm going to set a dentist appointment this Monday.
I'm hoping all i need is a filling, veneer or crown.
You say you cant chew on that tooth.
Its possible you damaged the nerve.
Thats what i'm hoping didn't happen with me.
If thats the case you'll either need a root canal or to extract the tooth.
Since its the wisdom tooth, i would extract it.
But with my tooth, since this tooth is very important for eating.
If i had to get a root canal, i'll do it.
But i hope all i need is filling, veneer or crown.
You definitely should go to the dentist and get an xray on that tooth.

Closed Thread