It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
(female)

Sudiekins HB User
Can an abcessed tooth cause swollen lymph nodes?

Can an abcessed tooth cause swollen lymph nodes? I have a severe abcessed tooth (lower molar) which has given me problems for a few years. From time to time I take anti-biotics to get the abcess under control. Lately it hurts so dreadfully that I have to take Lortab for the pain and use ice packs on my jaw.

Last year I discovered that the lymph nodes under my arms were swollen and painful.
I've been seeing a surgeon and getting CT scans for the lymph nodes for one year.
Intially the doctor told me that we'd better 'wait and see and keep an eye on them'.
I sought a second opinion and his response was the same as the first doctor.

The most recent CT scan showed that the lymph nodes had grown in size and multiplied. Now the surgeon wants to perform a biopsy.
He informed me that the procedure would involve scooping out half of my arm pit.

My insurance provides for MDs but not for dentists, which is why I've not had the blasted tooth pulled. (I'm retired and on a fixed income)
Since I know that the lymph node system acts as a filter I'm wondering if my abcessed tooth might actually be causing the swollen lymph nodes. Does anyone know ?? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Sudie

Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

plasticmouth HB User
Re: Can an abcessed tooth cause swollen lymph nodes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudiekins View Post
Can an abcessed tooth cause swollen lymph nodes? I have a severe abcessed tooth (lower molar) which has given me problems for a few years. From time to time I take anti-biotics to get the abcess under control. Lately it hurts so dreadfully that I have to take Lortab for the pain and use ice packs on my jaw.

Last year I discovered that the lymph nodes under my arms were swollen and painful.
I've been seeing a surgeon and getting CT scans for the lymph nodes for one year.
Intially the doctor told me that we'd better 'wait and see and keep an eye on them'.
I sought a second opinion and his response was the same as the first doctor.

The most recent CT scan showed that the lymph nodes had grown in size and multiplied. Now the surgeon wants to perform a biopsy.
He informed me that the procedure would involve scooping out half of my arm pit.

My insurance provides for MDs but not for dentists, which is why I've not had the blasted tooth pulled. (I'm retired and on a fixed income)
Since I know that the lymph node system acts as a filter I'm wondering if my abcessed tooth might actually be causing the swollen lymph nodes. Does anyone know ?? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Sudie
Yes it can imo ! - i also had majorly sore swollen lymph nodes back before i got all my teeth extracted ( i had heaps of abcesses ).

I can honestly say before i had all my teeth extracted i felt like i was dying, i thought i was going to dye !, all my teeth were rotten , i had infections, i felt sick all the time , i was loosing weight, depressed etc etc. I cant believe nowerdays i feel like im 16 again and fit as a fiddle and happy as can be.

It might be your problem too , and it might not ,but all i can say is i'de rather get that bad tooth extracted causing the bad abcess first and see if that works or helps (you need to get rid of it anyway by the sounds of it), before you let someone go scooping half your arm pit out !!!!!!! ... good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Sudie,

You are taking quite a risk not getting that abessed tooth out. I developed thyroiditis from an absessed tooth that kept me pretty much home bound for a year. I had a root canal & eventually had the tooth pulled. Now my thyroid gets infected easily & causes pain, fatigue etc. Talk with your Dentist & see if you can work out a payment system.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
(female)

Sudiekins HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmouth View Post
Yes it can imo ! - i also had majorly sore swollen lymph nodes back before i got all my teeth extracted ( i had heaps of abcesses ).

I can honestly say before i had all my teeth extracted i felt like i was dying, i thought i was going to dye !, all my teeth were rotten , i had infections, i felt sick all the time , i was loosing weight, depressed etc etc. I cant believe nowerdays i feel like im 16 again and fit as a fiddle and happy as can be.

It might be your problem too , and it might not ,but all i can say is i'de rather get that bad tooth extracted causing the bad abcess first and see if that works or helps (you need to get rid of it anyway by the sounds of it), before you let someone go scooping half your arm pit out !!!!!!! ... good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply. The description of how you felt are my symptoms exactly !! I'm tired all the time and basically feel like I'm dragging my feet. Gardening used to be so pleasurable for me, but I don't even go outside anymore--I'm just not up for it.
However, I made an appointment today with a dentist that charges according to ones income. Thank you once again ! Sudie

Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

Sudiekins HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. The description of how you felt are my symptoms exactly !! I'm tired all the time, depressed and basically feel like I'm dragging my feet. Gardening used to be so pleasurable for me, but I don't even go outside anymore--I'm just not up for it.
However, I made an appointment today with a dentist that charges according to ones income. So I'll be getting the dental help that I need.
Thank you once again ! Sudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmouth View Post

Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
(female)

Sudiekins HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I made an appointment today with a dentist that charges according to ones income. Thank you once again ! Sudie

Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

plasticmouth HB User

No worries at all. I hope you have better luck this time and start feeling better soon , cheers.

Closed Thread