It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User
Can a problems arise many years after a root canal?

I had a root canal about 7-8 years ago. For about 3 years I have been complaining to my dentist of discomfort deep down in that tooth. It doesn't hurt to chew but I do have ongoing discomfort. He claims impossible and I have had x-rays and panoramics. Any possibility of developing a late infection? Also, would having the crown removed and the tooth cleaned out again be warranted?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Can a problems arise many years after a root canal?

Yes, problems can arise...sometimes it needs to be redone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
(male)

ms1 HB Userms1 HB User

i had the same thing happen to me, twice! The first time the root canal failed. That is what they call it. It went untreated for weeks and became very infected and the pain was horrible. I had deferred pain into my sinuses and ear. I also have a crown on the affected tooth. For the first tooth they made an incision above the gumline and went in and fixed it. It is a surgical procedure and should be in the expertise of an endodontist or oral surgeon. That is who I went to. The other tooth in which I thought this happened to was actually an abscess. It was sore when I chewed on it but the pain was different than the other tooth. Eventually it became very painful. I learned that something had become wedged beneath the gumline and became infected. A "pocket" of gross stuff formed and after the endodontist lanced it and cleaned it thoroughly it was fine. In regards to the possibility of infection, some possible symptoms to keep in mind are pain, bad breath, the taste of infection, or the aroma of infection on your saliva. I hope this answers your question.Sorry if it was too detailed. The endodontist was the right person for me to see. My dentist missed it totally.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

The extraction of five teeth over a period of four months this past summer definitely proves that root canals can go bad after several years!!!!

glowing4

Closed Thread