It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

bunnycat10 HB User
Problems after extraction/dental implant surgery - please help!

I had an upper molar extracted (it was complicated - did not come out in one piece) on Oct. 2 by a periodontist. He also placed an implant in that spot on the same day. At day 10, I was in pain and saw a different periodontist who said an x-ray of the area showed bone loss. He had me come back every 3-4 days for an x-ray and by the 3 week point, he said the bone was looking better. However, I was still having constant pain and a squeezing feeling and feeling like something was there that wasn't. Finally they removed the implant and did a bone graft in the area. Things got worse after that for about 1 week, then slowly started to get better, but now at the 6 1/2 week point, I am still having problems. I have a mild ache in the area, some soreness, and what I think is some lack of sensation in the area - still feels like something is there that's not. I can feel pain inside my left cheek all the way up to the area where the implant was placed/removed. The outside of my face still feels sore. The pain gets worse when I lie down, bend over, and move around alot. Basically, I "feel" that side of my face all day.

I've been to a neurologist (per the periodontist's request) and he wasn't very helpful - just said that I had jaw and nerve pain from the dental surgery. I also finally saw an oral surgeon who did a full x-ray and said all looks good. He didn't really have an explanation for the pain - only said that he would not have placed the implant on the day the tooth was extracted.

Has anyone had a similar experience with pain after having a tooth extraction or dental implant surgery? I am trying to figure out what to do next. Thanks.

Last edited by bunnycat10; 11-17-2007 at 01:33 PM. Reason: to make question more specific

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Problems after extraction/dental implant surgery - please help!

I had implants (4 upper and 3 lower anterior) done right after extractions but the extracted teeth came out intact - but I did have pain in one upper one for several months as well as unusual bleeding (developed a blood blister) the first week after the procedure was done. I am surprised the dr did not suggest waiting for the extraction sites to heal prior to doing the implants given the complications in extracting them - I wonder if some of the initial pain was not due to bone fragments or chards trying to surface or erupt through the gum. The same can happen after bone grafts as well (could it be that is what you are feeling - like something is under the gum and trying to erupt?)

Since it was an upper molar has anyone checked if your sinus may have been punctured or infringed on by the extraction and/or implant? Also - you may want to see a neuro trained in movement and/or myofacial pain syndrome - botox is often used with nerve pain and muscle disorders. Did the neuro you saw check for trimengial neuralgia - a nerve that runs across the cheek in the face? Sometimes tegretol is prescribed to help with that.

What is there now, if anything - or are you now missing a tooth where the molar was?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

bunnycat10 HB User
Re: Problems after extraction/dental implant surgery - please help!

Thelma-Louise: Thanks for replying. Right now I have nothing in that area. No crown. Just the hole where the implant was and where the bone graft was done. I don't think I feel something erupting, but of course I could be wrong. What it feels like is aching, maybe burning and like there is something big under my lip/cheek in the area where the tooth was extracted. The pain does is mostly in that spot right now, but I do feel it also in my cheek near sinus as well as inside my left cheek. I forgot to mention that I did see my ENT right after the implant was removed. The periodontist who removed the implant said that he checked for sinus perforation (via tests where I held my nose,....), but I have a good ENT so I went to him for verification. He used a scope and checked inside my nose and didn't see any mucous buildup and said that he did not suspect a perforation, but that if I still had pain in 4 weeks to return and he would schedule x-ray of nasal cavity. This coming week will be 4 weeks since I saw him.

Yes, the neuro mentioned trigeminal neuralgia and prescribed very low dose neurontin since I am very sensitive to most meds. However, he really didn't do any tests and was quite rude and diagnosed me basically just by hearing that I had pain after dental surgery. I haven't tried the neurontin yet, but was thinking about using it tonight since I don't have to work tomorrow. I am afraid of the side effects, but the pain is becoming unmanageable since it is now constant again. When I saw the oral surgeon this week, he thought a TN diagnosis was ridiculous perhaps because the pain wasn't so bad at that time. This is why I'm not sure what to do as nobody has given a definite answer or diagnosis. I do think placing the implant on the extraction day was a big mistake, and I wonder if it will now just take lots of extra time for the area to heal given that trauma and then the additional trauma of removing the implant and doing the bone graft. I have had 2 implants in the past (not on the same day as the extraction) and 1 of those with a bone graft, but no problems at all with either of those areas.

Wow - 7 implants! That sounds like alot of dental work. I'm sorry to hear that you had pain in the one upper area for several months. Do you remember if it was a constant pain? Has that area completely recovered now?

Thanks for all the info, good questions, and advice. This whole situation has been quite stressful, and more so because it finally seemed like things were getting better only to turn a corner again and feel worse. It helps to talk with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
I had implants (4 upper and 3 lower anterior) done right after extractions but the extracted teeth came out intact - but I did have pain in one upper one for several months as well as unusual bleeding (developed a blood blister) the first week after the procedure was done. I am surprised the dr did not suggest waiting for the extraction sites to heal prior to doing the implants given the complications in extracting them - I wonder if some of the initial pain was not due to bone fragments or chards trying to surface or erupt through the gum. The same can happen after bone grafts as well (could it be that is what you are feeling - like something is under the gum and trying to erupt?)

Since it was an upper molar has anyone checked if your sinus may have been punctured or infringed on by the extraction and/or implant? Also - you may want to see a neuro trained in movement and/or myofacial pain syndrome - botox is often used with nerve pain and muscle disorders. Did the neuro you saw check for trimengial neuralgia - a nerve that runs across the cheek in the face? Sometimes tegretol is prescribed to help with that.

What is there now, if anything - or are you now missing a tooth where the molar was?

Closed Thread