It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User
Dentist caused my problem what should I do?

Hello,
I had a check up in OCT 07. I was told I had no probs no cavities. I had my teeth cleaned that same apt. During the cleaning I felt a weird ping on my lower left tooth. I was told to come back in for a tooth resurfacing on two bottom teeth. No big deal I thought. Then went home. I staring feeling pain in my tooth. At my next apt for the resurfacing. I told the dentist about the tooth pain. She wouldn’t fix it,said I had to come back. I waited 2 weeks in pain.
I went for the filling last Monday. I was shocked after I got home to see what she did. Not only is the filling a weird colour, but its deformed looking and sharp. My gums were bleeding and sore. I also had pain in my face. And it hurts!
So I went to a new dentist last Friday. I was to scard to go back to the other dentist. The new dentist claims I DO in fact have cavities and I have an infection in the tooth the other dentist filled. Because of my insurance he is saying a root canal isn't covered, and he will have to pull it. He wouldn’t address my concerns about what happed of course. He just said she shouldn’t have filled an infected tooth. But honestly I think it became infected after she did the filling or whilst I was waiting for it to be filled. I know they cracked my filling while cleaning.
My prob is I don't know how to go about this. I don't want to lose my tooth, but my insurance is junk! The other crazy thing is the new dentist didn't want to give me anibotics. I had to call and complain to get them. I have an infection! There not supposed to do anything if you have a infection. And he wanted to pull it with the infection?
Do I file a complaint? Confront the first dentist?? I don't know if this is bad luck? Or there treating me unfair because of my insurance. Or what? I have an apt for this Wen to have the tooth pulled, but I feel its not fair to have to do this if I was the dentist fault.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Dentist caused my problem what should I do?

your dentist should of gave you a course of anti biotics,to clear the infection !!

i had this problem years ago ,well similar ,i had an infection in a crowned tooth
(so the dentist told me) he said i would have to have a bridge put in,
but found out when i had to have the bridge taken out as i was in lot of pain etc and couldnt eat went down to 5 stone in weight

the dentist said there was nothing wrong ,but when i went to another dentist ,he tried to cure the problem but then decided i had to have the bridge out !!

when it was taken out it was made wrong and didnt fit my mouth which caused the problem
also i was told ,if there was an infection no way should i had a bridge put in until the infection was completley gone

i tried to sue the dentist for negligence ,but couldnt afford to go ahead with it
even though i had proof what he had done was wrong also the dentsit also rang me at home ,.begging me not to sue as he had a wife and kids

but ,now i regret trying to sue especicially as i didnt get anywhere as now ,dentists are bit weary of me now and think i might try to sue them

which isnt the case i didnt want to sue the first one ,but it cost me a lot of money to get it put right and wanted some compesation

but its cost me a lot in every way for years now and seem to get more problems because of dentsists

Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Hi,thanks for the reply.Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I've been trying to decide how do go about suing. I don't want to . But I don't think if I call the dentist and explian what she did,she will fix the problem,so I don't really know. I'm not losing that tooth because she caused this! I have a funny metal taste with a tingling feeling in my mouth which is worrying me. I hear it can a bad sign. Possible posioning from the filling. The filling is a different shade of sliver than other fillings I have had. It's not really silver more like greyish white. And it hurts! She should have to pay for the root canal.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

i think the best thing,is to complain to the dentist omnibus,tell them what happened ,and how your feeling now ,and if you can get a second opinion and get them to write a report ,and send it (photo copy) to the dentist omnibus ,then hopefully they be able to correct the mistake without any cost to you !

i wished i went that way ,rather than suing as i said before i couldnt afford to carry on ,and ended up out of pocket too.
also suing you have to prove negligence and it wasnt a mistake which in my opinion is the same but apparantly the law see;'s it differently

well i hope you get it sorted out and your out of pain soon,but it sounds if what ever the dentist done as made either a cavity which wasnt there or has touched the nerve ,which need the root canal to be done

good luck

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Each state has a dental board or association which oversees dentists - I would suggest you contact the dentist who made the mistake and request compensation and also file a complaint with the dental board for your state - in some states there are several "wards" or divisons set up for different counties so find out which board this dentist is under. In some cases they might help in mediating a problem such as this. I would also go see an endodontist to try and save the tooth with a rc and look into possibly financing it through a health care credit card that offers 12 mos zero % financing (since your insurance won't cover it) and including this cost in the total compensation you are asking for from the first dentist as well as any restorative procedures that need to be done after the the rc.. Also go back to the first dentist and request copies of xrays taken (if any) - this should prove whether there was a pre-existing infection or one that developed after the filling. I really hope you don't lose that tooth b/c of a poor dentist.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 11-19-2007 at 11:28 AM.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Hi,
Do you think if I speak to the dentist that caused this before getting my records,they then wont give me a copying in fear of me complaining?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
(female)

kjorso HB User

by law, you can get a copy of your records. Call the department of health and
file a report. An investigator can be assigned to look into this. They are there
to help YOU and to find the dentists that are not following regulations.
The high cost of dental work....expect the best because you are paying for it.
Report bad dentists....so others will not suffer.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

That is correct - by law they have to provide you with a copy of your records and xrays but don't be surprised if they charge you a fee for this - (some drs have charged me $25) but its worth it in any event. Chances are the first dentist did a composite filling instead of amalgam - which may also account for what happened afterwards since not everyone can tolerate them. Also the tingling sensation may just be b/c the nerve is infected or dying not a sign that the tooth needs to be removed. I would definitely file a complaint though. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I called the first dentist today. She wouldn't speak to me over the phone. Her receptionist just kept saying she had no comment. And because I saw another dentist she wouldn’t comment. She also lied and said she x rayed my tooth before the filling on the day of. Nope she did an x ray 2 weeks before! I did call the dental board there sending me paper work. Luckily she is a member. Who else should I report her to? I'm also calling my insurance. Maybe they can do something, I don't know. Few people have said I should sue. Thanks again for all the support.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well,i hope you get it sorted out ,suing would be my last resort,(i wished i complained first before trying to sue)

suing a dentist is costly ,and not neccessary your going to win,as i said before ,you have to prove it was negligence and not a mistake,which the courts will go for the dentist rather than you

i am not saying you shouldnt sue,but make it your last resort ,go through the dentsit complaint procedure first,see if they help you first,if you feel they're not then i would go for suing the dentist
but it would help your case to get a second opinion and a report of what they've found.

also from now on dont disclose what you are going to do to the dentist ,as it is possible they might get rid of any evidence ,

well good luck keep us imformed how you get on

Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM   #11
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Hi, I was thinking she may try and "lose" evidence or something too. But then I realized they have to turn in insurance claims and it is all logs what was done etc. And she might look guilty if it goes missing. I think. But who knows what could happen. I haven't said anything though. I don't want to sue. Not looking forward to that. I do have proof she caused this massive proof. There are lawyers that you only pay if you win. But I just don't want the bother. I want my tooth! I'm calling my insurance hoping they will sort it out. Thank you for the well wishing. I'll let you know how things go.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well,i hope it works out for you,i am still in a lot of pain and discomfort,been to dentist after dentist ,trying to get it sorted,but they get my name up on computer,and they dont want to deal with me,all since i tried to sue a dentist years ago

i wished i hadnt bothered ,i didnt want to sue ,just wanted some of my money back ,what i had to pay out due to their negligence
but now i am havong more problems and cant get a dentist to sort it out as they dont want to admit another dentist has made a mistake

i dont care who done what i just want to be sorted but,it seems because they dont want to help me it seems after xmas i will have to insist taking the teeth out and having a plate instead as i cant put up wiht this pain much longer and i need my sleep too
then i will have to fight for a dentist to take the teeth outcant win

thats all i am saying ,if you go ahead with suing ,all dentists stick together and wont like to take sides as it were,and if you persue suing a dentist esepcially if you dont win ,you will find it hard to find a dentist who will help you from there on

i am finding it extremely hard even though i just want to be sorted out i dont want to sue anyone this time but,they dont know that and wont take the chance inxas ei take it further
i have my suspicions whats going on woth my teeth but im not a dentist,even though ive had so muchh treatment i know more than most

Old 11-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #13
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

I'm so sorry to hear your in pain. Dental type pain is one of the worst things. And for you to be treated different because of something that wasn't your fault is wrong.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well exactly ,i feel i have no where to go,and fed up haivng to put up with constant pain
ive gone to another dentist yet another one,he has gave me anti biotics yet more, thats all they seem to give me ,but nothing to solve the problem permantly,i am going to see hygenist too,how i hate them,i always feel worse after seeing them,also being in so much pain, makes it worse.

but, i have to give it another try. go through ,seeing hygenist and if it continues,which i know it will,see what this dentist is prepared to do?

i am getting to stage where i just want the teeth out, yet i dont want another plate especially at the bottom ,as they are much harder to get on with than the top,and i dotn get on very well with the top plate

has anyone else got a tip for sore and pain i already take corsydil,, painkillers?
and ambasil gel and also oil to rub on gums?

Closed Thread