It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
(male)

SharpshooterTom HB User
Supposed "Late Mandibular Growth" Affecting My Teeth Help Needed!

Hi all I am a 21 year old male and was wondering if some people could help me here,

I have noticed some problems with my teeth for the past 4-5 months (since about June).

My teeth have pretty much been straight, and I was very happy with them until I noticed my wisdom teeth/third molars starting to come through.

During which time I believed I noticed my lower teeth to shift slightly, and that my jaw was starting to possibly change shape (which I hate because I liked the way I looked prior to all this).

At first I thought my wisdom teeth were responsible for all this, but alas after compounding some research it appears they don't really.

I've been pm'ing other people from all sorts of dentistry boards and they all conclude that it's possibly "late mandibular growth".

My problem is trying to reverse this (without surgery) and was wondering what possible methods that can fix it.

I had an orthodontist appointment last month (15th Oct) and wasn't sure if my teeth were shifting so he has given me another appointment in january/feburary) to see if they shift any further, in which he said he would do something about it.

Does anyone know if braces help change the shape of your jaw? I have heard people claim that it does, in which my aim would be to align my teeth exactly the way they 5 months ago, in turn which would hopefully fix my lower jaw back to shape, does this sound reasonable?

In past month I've also noticed my jaw "coming downward", now I don't know if that's what's literally happening but it feels like it, in addition when my wisdom were first coming through there was little gum space behind, now there's considerably a lot more.

Incidently my wisdom teeth are still only partially erupted and I am getting them removed due to some pain (effecting my studies slightly - I'm a student).

Really really appreciate any help here people,
Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

ortho777 HB User
Re: Supposed "Late Mandibular Growth" Effecting My Teeth Help Needed!

Hi Tom:
The research is inconclusive as far as wisdom teeth causing crowding of the front teeth. I wouldn't count on those as the reason why your teeth are getting crooked.

In men who have a tendency toward a larger lower jaw, they usually continue to grow through their early 20s. So it is somewhat common to see these men able to bite only on their incisors or even develop an underbite post-orthodontics.--and also develop lower front crowding.

If you fall into this category of having late mandibular growth, usually we like to wait for the patient to stop growing, this is determined with x-rays taken 6 months to a year apart. Depending on how bad the teeth have shifted and how serious the jaw discrepancies, you may have to have braces, teeth removed, or even surgery. It's tough to say without actually seeing you and your teeth. Your teeth can definitely be straightened again though.

Cheri

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
(male)

SharpshooterTom HB User
Re: Supposed "Late Mandibular Growth" Affecting My Teeth Help Needed!

Thanks for the reply ortho777,

This is strange for me because I have not had any facial/jaw growth since I went through puberty when I was 13/14. My teeth and face shape have always been fine (virtually the same) ever since now.

If I am being really honest with you ortho777, I don't like the effects of what I believe my face/jaw is going through at the moment and liked the way I looked prior to all this (say about may before all this was happening).

I really want to correct the jaw differences (if I've had any) and bring back my old/normal jaw shape. But this "surgery" alternative worries me, my orthodontist mentioned something about drilling holes somewhere, which tbh with you scares me. I'm scared of my orthodontist, I'm afraid he'll do what he best places and I'll end with some new face shape I totally hate.

Isn't there anyway you can prevent any of this? I mean I've heard braces can alter the shape of your face and jaw, so if I were to align my teeth correctly back exactly the way they were, would this also accomodate a change in face shape/jawline and maybe go back to the way I used to look?

Thanks,
Tom

Closed Thread