It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
(female)

shaddy45 HB User
Cavity under recent crown/graft/rc: at a serious loss!!!

In May I started seeing a new dentist, and she suggested many treatments for my teeth, TMJ and clenching. I had one root canal on #3 molar that was almost 15 years old with a crown. About a month after I saw her for the first time, the crown chipped (while on my honeymoon no less!).

I went back to see her (June 14), and her first response was to just bond the chipped portion until after my orthodontist proceeded with braces. Then she x-rayed it and said that I needed to have it looked at by an endodontist for a possible re-treat of the root canal. She popped off the broken crown and put on a temporary. She also lasered a part of my gums that had grown down in the gap between the crown (#3) and my tooth (#2). ($450 at the dentist)

A week later (June 21) the endodontist popped off the temporary and retreated the root canal, put the temporary back on, gave me a week of Cleocin and told me to have the crown replaced in 2-4 weeks. ($1000)

2 weeks later (July 2) I went back to the dentist to have the new crown put on, which seemed like a long ordeal to me, but that's beside the point. I also had a couple of cavities treated around that tooth at the same time to get started before orthodontics.

3-4 weeks later (early August), my gums were extremely swollen, pocketed, sore, and receded around the new crown. The dentist measured the pocket at 15 mm at that point and seemed extremely concerned at the extent of my infection, since none was present when the crown went on. I went back to the endodontist to see what he wanted to do as well, and he again put me on a week of Cleocin.

The next day I saw a periodontist to assess the situation. He did a deep clean of the area, ($250) and found a piece of debris under my gums, which looked like a strange shape, not a seed or food, very hard. From what he could see, the absess under my gums had caused severe acute bone loss which needed to be treated immediately, once the infection reduced some, with a bone graft.

I went back around 5 days later (August 18), and he cut open a flap on the outside of #3 & #4, did a deep clean of the infection and bone, and applied the graft. ($850) I spent 2 weeks in stitches, rinsing with antibiotic wash, and took a Z-pack. After 2 weeks, the wound was healing, and the pocket reduced to 6 mm.

So now, (November) I went back for my 6 month cleaning, and with an x-ray of the bone graft, the bone is growing in very quickly. HOWEVER, they found a cavity now under the crown.

So, here's my question. How, in 3 months, is it possible to have a cavity under this crown (daily dental hygiene with sonicare/waterpik/listerine/floss)? I've had a terrible feeling about this whole situation for quite some time, such as the likelihood that the debris that caused the abscess was stray cement from the replaced crown, or that something is up with the sterility of this office to cause so much trouble. I just don't like it. I don't like that $2500 later, this tooth has a new problem, when perhaps it should have been pulled in the first place. Any suggestions on how to approach this, or possible causes?

I am also undergoing extensive orthodontic treatment with an appliance and braces coming soon, which will have added another $8000 to that $2500, not counting the additional exams, cavities, and treatments. With $4000 of that in my dentist's pocket, is it possible she sees me as a target for more money???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Cavity under recent crown/graft/rc: at a serious loss!!!

Yes in answer to your question. Chances are it was trapped cement, btw.

I have had extensive dental work over the years - braces, root canals, bone grafts and periodontal treatments - even had implants and bridges done and everything was fine until I went to a new dentist to have a bridge replaced and within 3 yrs it all just went terribly wrong - one thing after another and then another and then another and so on - the funny thing the problems only occurred with the teeth he treated and none other. It took me 3 yrs to realize it was due to poor dentistry and a dr who was only interested in making money and now 4 yrs later I am still trying to undo the mess it caused and many of the dentists I have consulted with since confirmed what I suspected - albeit too late. I may have missed the signs early on like teeth not feeling right after he worked on them, excessive cement left in and around bridges, drill bits breaking off and getting stuck in my teeth, being talked into composite fillings that were 10 times costlier than amalgam fillings and his excessively high fees etc. Take your cue and do not return to that dentist.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

It is so unfair. But I know what you mean. What is a bone graft? If you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

shaddy45 HB User

Thanks for the response. I'm really in a tough spot, because this all happened so fast. I'm in the middle of this TMJ treatment with the orthodontist, and my treatment schedule was comprimised by this crown issue. But now, I need to get my cavities filled before I can begin with braces, and she's the only one i can go to without paying for another exam out of pocket. I just hate this, because until this all happened, she seemed to have all of this advanced technology, and really took a lot of time during the exam to tell me about my teeth. Now I just feel like all that technology has made her too comfortable, and she's not paying attention to what she does. This new cavity under the crown is the last straw. I didn't know that was the tooth it was in until I checked out yesterday from having other cavities filled. I have another appointment Monday, and we'll see what she says about how this cavity is possible.

BTW, on the bone graft issue. Bone grafts in most cases are used in people who have had teeth pulled and they have lost a significant amount of bone where that tooth used to be, and a post cannot be placed in the existing bone. In those situations, a dentist or periodontist will use either bone from the patient (hip or jaw), bone from a cadaver, or synthetic material that is used to generate new bone, and it takes 6-12 months to grow into stable material before the post can be set.

In my situation, I had lost a significant amount of bone on the outside of my #3 molar due to this abscess (in 3 weeks), and the only way to keep it from spreading and losing the tooth was to do a bone graft on the outside of the tooth to restore the bone. Because the bone lose happened so fast, and because of my age, they decided to use the synthetic material to encourage my natural bone to grow back. 3 months after the graft, my bone is doing great.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Thanks for the info shaddy. Most dentist are in it for the money. And are rude or give shotty care if you don't have the best insurance, or can't pay out of pocket what they think you should. I left my last dental apt with a menu of prices,even after I told them I could not pay out of pocket. That I had to go with my insurance. This dentist is so cheap he doesn't want to fill minor cavities, he said he would rather pull the tooth. I couldnt believe that! Of course I'm not going to let that happen. I'm just worried about this infected tooth. They even charged me for xrays after I told them I just had xrays done last month. They new my insurance wouldn't cover it again. But did them anyways, didn't even tell me my insurance wouldnt cover them until after. He had the nerve to tell me I don't get a free pass twice! Good luck to you. I know how scary it is to have to keep on going back.

Closed Thread