It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

litipers11 HB User
when to remove dental implant stitches

What is the maximum time that non-dissolving stitches can be left in the gum area (two implants in jaw bone and stiched up)? Nine days have passed and dentist wants to leave these in for another two weeks because healing is not yet completed. Anyone know how long it is safe to leave stitches in?

Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
(male)

White Iceman HB User
Re: when to remove dental implant stitches

I am no medical expert but I have recently had stitches in my gum following dental treatment in Poland in readiness for implants. I was told to leave them in for 7 days, after that there would be a risk of infection. As it happens my local dentist removed the stitches on about the ninth day but missed two. When the gum receded I discovered more stitches and therefore returned to my local dentist who removed the remaining two. This took place about a month after they had originally been inserted. There was no infection but maybe I was lucky. I am not sure if this response helps but I am sure that a qualified person will assist. I am also sure there is a reasonable explanation as to why this type of stitch was used in preference to dissolvable ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
(female)

litipers11 HB User
Re: when to remove dental implant stitches

Thanks White Iceman!

My concern was that, as you stated, stitches left in for a lengthy duration can potentially lead to infection. I was (am) somewhat scared at such a prospect, given that these implants are probably 'last chance saloon' for my mouth! In light of your comments, which confirmed my concerns, I then sought further advice from the British Dental Association.

It seems that, if the site has not healed within the expected timeframe, stitches are not removed (for the fear of infection) because there is a greater risk of infection if they're removed without sufficient healing having taken place. Although I'm concerned because healing hasn't happened as expected, I'm a little more reassured now.

Obviously the need for greater cleanliness/caution is now paramount. Continue with hot salt mouthwashes morning and night and after every meal (I'm also using an antibacterial mouthwash)! Here's hoping ... and best of luck with your implants!

Closed Thread