It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
Question about not getting wisdom tooth removed when decay is in it

Hi, my dentist told me I have decay in wisdom tooth on the bottom right all the way in the back.
He said i need to have it removed or get a root canal.
I want to get a 2nd opinion about this from another dentist.
Right now the tooth dont hurt at all.
I know the decay can go to the nerve and then the tooth would have to be removed or a root canal.
My question is, if i dont remove the tooth for a while, can the decay spread to other teeth or it will just go to the nerve in the tooth its in now.

Last edited by Stoler99; 11-29-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User
Re: Question about not getting wisdom tooth removed when decay is in it

Very often you can have severe cavities without even feeling pain, I know I have. Only once it's infected will you feel it. It won't spread to other teeth, but it's a lot easier to get it fixed as soon as possible. Once it's infected there's no saving it, a root canal won't be an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had fillings in all four of my wisdom teeth. I eventually had to have them pulled. I'd save myself money and hassle and just get it pulled now.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
(female)

Mermaidxx HB User

Hi, well I have a similar situation. I was at the dentist today to have a molar pulled (long story). My dentist says I have cavities in my wisdom teeth too, but he claims he doesn't like to do fillings in wisdom teeth. Well I have a filling in one of my wisdom teeth another dentist did, and it's been fine. So I told him, I wanted to wait until I can have them filled. I have a family member who is a dentist out of state, but will have to wait awhile until I can see him. But my current dentist said it wasn't an emergency, it was up to me. I do NOT want to pull my wisdom teeth, there connected to the sinuses. I hear stories about people not being the same after etc. My wisdom teeth are not causing pain so I'm going to wait. I'd try and save your teeth, unless you really need them extracted, due to infection or another reason. I wasn't sure what I was going to do until today.
Just so you know, some times root canals don’t always work. I had one done to try and save my other molar, and it didn’t work. Had to be pulled any ways. In my opinion it's just best to try and save your teeth. I have two molars gone. In future I will have implants, but still its rough having teeth pulled! You never know what other teeth will have probs later on down the road. Depending on your insurance you maybe stuck without any teeth. Not all insurances cover implants or bridges. Good luck!

Last edited by Mermaidxx; 11-29-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi Stoler.....If you have decay already in one wisdome tooth
you can fill it and maybe that will be the end of it. If you do
decide to an extraction you should consider extracting the
other wisdom tooth too on the same side whether it is good
or not because the extracted tooth leaves a gap and the other
tooth has nothing to bite down. I would get a second opinion
and decide for myself....karen

Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

holly117 HB User

Hi Stoler.

I've been working as a [removed] for over 15 years.. Yes, the decay can and will decay the tooth next to it. Tooth pain is the worst, especially when it reaches the nerve.. A lot of times it's hard to numb an infected abscessed tooth, which could happen to yours. Don't mess around, get it out.

Take care

[Do not post your professional medical title. Please click the "Posting Policy" above for more details. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-01-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Closed Thread