It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

Tewfiddy HB User
Basal Cell Hyperplasia of the tongue

For at least 6 months that I can remember, I have had a redish lesion on the tip of my tongue. Sometimes it gets bigger, sometimes smaller but it is always there. So I had a brush biopsy which showed atypical squamous epithelial cells. It came back as basal cell hyperplasia with several clusters. My dentist said she consulted with an oral surgeon and he suggested that I have it removed, just so it doesn't get larger and cause pain. He suggested I wait until after the holidays due to it may cause a lot of pain. Since the biopsy, the area is looking much better. Has anyone heard of this? How serious should I take this? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
(female)

holly117 HB User
Smile Re: Basal Cell Hyperplasia of the tongue

Hi!

I've been a [removed] for over 15 years, so I'm well aware of mouth. Nothing to be overly concerned about, but it is always best to have removed. It's just extra tissue cells you don't need, and you'll probably only worry about it if it increases in size... Be very aware.. Oral cancer is on the rise do to oral habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol, and chewing tobacco. So if you haven't been instructed, ask the Hygienist, she can educate you and update you on the latest concerns.

Take care

[Do not post your professional medical title. Please click the "Posting Policy" above for more details. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-01-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
(female)

Tewfiddy HB User
Re: Basal Cell Hyperplasia of the tongue

Holly,
Thanks for your reply. [removed] I can not say that I have heard of basal cell hyperplasia of the tongue, and I am the only patient at the office that had the biopsy to come back with such. How will the oral surgeon know what parts of my tongue have it without biopsying all parts? The lesion isnt visible at this time.. but my papillae on my tongue are longer. Im just afraid how my tongue will look afterwards. I have not really seen anything similar on other patients either. Thanks again for your time.

[Do not post your professional medical title. Please click the "Posting Policy" above for more details. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-01-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

holly117 HB User

Hi Tew,

Don't worry, the oral surgeon won't biopsy The area unless it's present at the time. He or she may want to see you to evaluate it when it flares up. It is possible that it won't return, and in that case, just have your dentist keep an eye on it.

Glad I can help.
Holly

Last edited by holly117; 12-01-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

Tewfiddy HB User

OOps, I'm sorry, guess I messed up in my previous post. But thanks again Holly, I will probably have it evaluated again after the first of the year. But if anyone else has any further information for me, please let me know. Thanks so much.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

arline62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewfiddy View Post
For at least 6 months that I can remember, I have had a redish lesion on the tip of my tongue. Sometimes it gets bigger, sometimes smaller but it is always there. So I had a brush biopsy which showed atypical squamous epithelial cells. It came back as basal cell hyperplasia with several clusters. My dentist said she consulted with an oral surgeon and he suggested that I have it removed, just so it doesn't get larger and cause pain. He suggested I wait until after the holidays due to it may cause a lot of pain. Since the biopsy, the area is looking much better. Has anyone heard of this? How serious should I take this? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
(female)

arline62 HB User

I just had a brush biopsy that came back atypical squamous epithilial cells on my tongue. I had a fissure that kind of split open and no bleeding or pain...just noticed it when I had my teeth cleaned. I had been on several antibiotics from an upper respitory infection and Dr. thought that was the cause. My ENT says the biopsy results are normal for what I had. I am very concerned anyways...not sure what more to do. ENT says do nothing and not to be concerned at all. It's 85% gone from last week when I found it..It is almost all closed up. Any comments or similar circumstances??

Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

arline62 HB User

Tewfiddy: What happened with your tongue problem? You said you'd do something after 1st of the year.

Closed Thread