It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
(male)

chaznsc HB User
Replaced a filling for sensitivity......please advise

Hello,
I had a took, lower moler, the big one LOL to start being real sensitive to cold, some mild pressure pain. Went to my dentist, who I love. He xrayed me, looked at it with a light for a possible fracture. He recommended we replace the filling, which we did. The sensitivity is not as bad, but its not entirely gone, neither is the pressure issue, but the bit has to be JUST RIGHT for it to cause pain.

Should I wait a bit or go ahead and ask him to crown the tooth? I had the procedure done this past Tuesday.

chaz

Old 12-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

holly117 HB User
Re: Replaced a filling for sensitivity......please advise

Hi Chaz,

Sometimes decay, a cavity can cause senstivity to cold and while chewing. Since your dentist has decided to go the conservative approach and replace the filling, you sould give the new filling about a month, unless it gets unbareable. It's going to be a little hiper sensitive for awhile just from the new work on the molar you just had worked on.. Hang in there and give it some time..
Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
(male)

chaznsc HB User

Holly,
Thank you for the prompt kind reply. I will give it some time. I did have to go back on thursday and get the bite adjusted, it was really "high" and he took out a bit of the new filling, which really helped.

Thanks again!

chaz

Old 12-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

A crown won't change anything, and the procedure to put it on would involve drilling that would just make it worse. Only a root canal can stop sensitivity, or a very good filling. A root canal is a very drastic thing.
Use a toothpaste meant for sensitive teeth. I've always had this problem and I still do, but there's nothing to be done about it. I find over time the toothpaste works and I just get used to it. Once it gets better, it'll only hurt at first from the shock, but then the pain will disappear and you can continue eating.
But my teeth are particularly bad so I've been using the toothpaste for years, and you're only supposed to use it for 2 weeks because of the high fluoride content. It doesn't cause any problems for most people to use it that long anyway.
Another option is perscription toothpaste, but it won't be covered by insurance.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
(male)

chaznsc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahofBorg View Post
A crown won't change anything, and the procedure to put it on would involve drilling that would just make it worse. Only a root canal can stop sensitivity, or a very good filling. A root canal is a very drastic thing.
Use a toothpaste meant for sensitive teeth. I've always had this problem and I still do, but there's nothing to be done about it. I find over time the toothpaste works and I just get used to it. Once it gets better, it'll only hurt at first from the shock, but then the pain will disappear and you can continue eating.
But my teeth are particularly bad so I've been using the toothpaste for years, and you're only supposed to use it for 2 weeks because of the high fluoride content. It doesn't cause any problems for most people to use it that long anyway.
Another option is perscription toothpaste, but it won't be covered by insurance.
The dentist stated if the tooth was cracked, that the crown would settled that down, depending on the damage.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

holly117 HB User

Hi Chaz,

Your dentist is right, if your symptoms are to cold and biting, it's most likely a crack and might be fine now that he has replaced the filling and adjusted your bite correct. If you needed a root canal, you would have sensitivity to hot and cold. Although if the crack is down into the nerve canal, you would then need root canal treatment and a post crown. but don't worry, give it some time, baby it for a few days.. bet it feels better in no time, but if it doesn't, you know what to do.. Relax..... Go have pizza

Holly

Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
(male)

chaznsc HB User

Hi Guys,
Well, its been somewhere around 3 weeks. The tooth is back to sensitive to cold, some issues while chewing, but has to be in the right position, right hardness of food.

Should I go ahead and head back to the dentist?

chaz

Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well i had same thing ,couple my teeth came sensative to hot food and drink ,but not cold
went to a new dentist today,at last getting results as other dentist turns me away
my old dentist insists nothing wrong but finally got a result today
one of the teeth thats was causing the pain i have to have a root canal done
and one tooth has to come out
as for my other problems with my teeth he is taking more x-rays next week to see whats causing the trouble

at last

Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
(female)

holly117 HB User

Hi Chaz,

You probably should get it looked at again.. Ask Him/her if an IRM, medicated filling can be placed for a month, and see if the cold sensitivity goes away.. Ruling out Root Canal treatment. If it solves the cold sensitivity, but not the sensitivity to chewing.. get the crown.. you'll fell better that you have made the right dicision.

Good luck, Holly

Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
(male)

chaznsc HB User

Going in tomorrow for a root canal, it took a turn for the worse on tuesday.

Closed Thread