It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

LovelyOne HB User
Pain in jaw spread to ear, root canal failure? Doesnt hurt to chew

I had a root canal 10/30/07, about 11/15/07 I got my temp filling in and they took out the cotton rolls they had packed into the tooth. Now I'm getting bad BAD pains in my jaw and it feels like it's traveling up towards my ear. It doesn't hurt to chew it's just this throby achy feeling in my jaw that is annoying me. It's not sensetive to hot or cold really but I do get a little twinge of pain if im drinking something super cold.

My question is, is this a failed root canal? Is it a fracture of some sort? Did they perhaps miss a root? I had to have a buildup because the dentist said the cavity went beyond the gumline, and during my root canal procedure I felt TONS of pain (which he later told me that it was probably infected). And during the root canal procedure the dentist told me that there was one that was calcified and couldn't get all the way through. But I guess she did get all the way through since she finished up and put the temp in.....I was never given any antibiotics as well, wouldnt it be normal for me to have antibiotcis eseically after i told the dentist I was in a great deal of pain during?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Pain in jaw spread to ear, root canal failure? Doesnt hurt to chew

I had this same pain after my root canal and I called the endodontist to ask if this was normal. She said that it was inflammation setting in. She recommended taking ibuprophen (up to 3600mg/day). She also had to call me in a corticosteroid (medrol pack). The two of those combined finally took care of the inflammation. You need to take these in order for your body to get the inflammation under control. I had pain going into my ear as well and pain in my jaw joint. I thought that I was getting an ear infection. I told my brother about this and he said do this test press two fingers in right below your upper jaw joint and at the same time thrust your lower jaw forward.

I did this and needless to say it was the worst pain that I have felt in quite some time. This could also be TMJ which my brother has. However with the medications, my pain and inflamation are gone. Hope that helps.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread