It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

chonky3000 HB User
Mouthwash discomfort

Is it normal for mouthwash to feel uncomfortable and almost cause a stinging sensation?

When I use it it seems to fizz up and cause this irritation..... It feels like an acid-it doesn't feel natural

Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

ami68 HB User
Re: Mouthwash discomfort

I have the same thing, and I just read that too much listerine ( and probably all mouthwashes with alcohol) can cause your gums to peel back, ouch!! Maybe we should try natrual mouthwash brands, like Toms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonky3000 View Post
Is it normal for mouthwash to feel uncomfortable and almost cause a stinging sensation?

When I use it it seems to fizz up and cause this irritation..... It feels like an acid-it doesn't feel natural
yes some like listerine can cause a stinging sensation,try a non alcahol mouthwash
i must admit i prefer listerine to others but best use it occaisionally

Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
(male)

chonky3000 HB User

Interesting. Thanks folks. Do you know the purpose of alchohol in the mouthwash? Is it an important ingredient?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks folks. Do you know the purpose of alchohol in the mouthwash? Is it an important ingredient?

well,not certain ,i think its the alcohol that suppose to keep infections away

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
(female)

NashvilleChick HB User

Tom's is a healthier type of mouthwash to use. It's natural and doesn't contain a lot of things that can potentially hurt your teeth. They also make toothpaste and other hygenic supplies. They're a little expensive (probably around $5 or $6 dollars a bottle), but it's worth it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

It stings for the same reason alcohol stings. It's more of a burn. It's not the same kind of alcohol that you drink, it's much more toxic, but it's similar. I'd be suprised if brands made without it are as effective.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
(male)

chonky3000 HB User

$5 or $6 dollars expensive? You guys get everything cheaply over there!! I will be impressed if I can find somewhere that sells Tom's over here(uk).

I'm willing to sacrifice the effectiveness for a feeling of comfort if that is the case borg.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

ami68 HB User

I hear that allot from all my UK friends, they laugh at me because I complain about gas prices, But you guys also have free health insurance and all that!! so I guess you pick your complaints!! how much is mouth wash typically there> average is2-3$ here, except the "natural kinds"

Old 12-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Listerine is pretty harsh. I use ACT mouthwash right now. It doesn't have the burn to it, but I am switching over all food, cleaners, and health products to chemical free as I can get or organic. I will have to check out the Tom's brand. Does it contain fluoride? Thats a concern of mine. I do not use fluoride as it is a toxic chemical and it not beneficial to our health. If you can't find a natural based mouthwash, try switching your brands for now and see if you still have the same problem. Also, I was stationed overseas once, and we used a website where you can order any health, beauty, cosmetic, etc. products. You could probably find a natural based mouthwash on one of those sites???

Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
(female)

NashvilleChick HB User

Quote:
$5 or $6 dollars expensive? You guys get everything cheaply over there!! I will be impressed if I can find somewhere that sells Tom's over here(uk).

I'm willing to sacrifice the effectiveness for a feeling of comfort if that is the case borg.
$5 or $6 dollars is expensive for a tube of toothpaste!

The average cost is $2 or $3 for a decent tube of namebrand toothpaste. Tom's is a little higher, but I recommend it... both the toothpaste and mouthwash. It can be found pretty much anywhere now, including Wal-Mart.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
(male)

chonky3000 HB User

Uk decent mouthwash brands are £3-£4($7). But you can get really cheap ones for the equivalent of less than 2 dollars. I'm not sure whether it's a qualitative compromise.

I managed to get a natural one called 'OralClens' for about a fiver(£). No alchohol and the stinging has gone .......Nice one!

It still fizzes a little when I spit it out but I guess that's not bad. It does contain fluoride. Fluoride is in our water over here. Has it been proven to be toxic?? I've heard suggestions that it is before but not seen a clear study showing this....

Closed Thread