It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
(female)

Joanne_C HB User
Problem with crowned tooth - but my real problem is fear

I had a crown done about six months ago. After a couple of months of the tooth feeling normal, I bit down on something one day and felt a weird sensation of pressure inside the tooth. For a couple of weeks the tooth felt sensitive when I chewed with it, so I went to see the dentist. He x-rayed and did bite tests and tapped on the tooth and found nothing wrong. He said he thought the ligaments might be inflamed, but wasn't sure, and to give it time. I've given it time (around 3 months) and the tooth is not better. It is sore a lot of the time and I avoid chewing with it. I have no idea what is wrong, but I am very scared I am going to need a root canal, and the fear is holding me back. I haven't even been able to pick up the phone to call the dentist. I feel so childish. I am a middle-aged, educated woman but I still have this fear. How did others who had a strong fear of dental work overcome it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

courtney1111 HB User
Re: Problem with crowned tooth - but my real problem is fear

I too dread going to the dentist. However it is important that you go. I'm not trying to scare you but I had a friend who was 33 die from an infection that started in the tooth. I would see another dentist to again rule out infection. Everytime I'm scared to go to the dentist I think of my friend...and decide it is better to go than not.

Courtney

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
(male)

Karltom HB User

I am going to have to go with Courtney on this. Doesn't sound to me like this crown is acting the way it should. I have had crowns and my oldest one is over 25 years old and never given me a bit of trouble. Definitely check it out with another dentist. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Try not to panic. Sometimes a crown needs some adjusting. Your bite can be off because of it and the pressure of chewing makes it uncomfortable. It is a rather simple fix as the dentist will check your bite and then drill off areas that are not right. You might want to talk to your dentist about that. Both my husband and I have crowns right now that are not feeling right, and our dentist continues to adjust them and work to make them right.

If your tooth was infected you would be in terrible pain. I have had many infected teeth over my lifetime and the pain is just awful. So, having a root canal at this time doesn't seem plausible, most especially if your dentist has done the x-rays and evaluated the tooth. Should you ever need a root canal, please don't be too frightened. There are many jokes about it and scare stories, but a root canal is not bad at all. Takes longer than a normal filling, but you don't feel pain and usually not much pain afterwards either. At this point though it doesn't sound like that is required.

Don't worry about being scared. It is OK to be scared. We all of some fear or another. Most dental offices are very aware that going to the dentist is an anxious time and do everything they can to make that easier. Being scared is just being human. This really doesn't sound too bad, so make an appointment and see what he says. And, here is another thought - my dentist has a crown that he doesn't feel is right either - very sensitive on one side. But, no one, not his dentist or an endodontist can find anything wrong with it and it has been root canaled! So, you are not alone, even in the dental world!

glowing4

Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

i would agree with glowing,ive had a few root canals and no problem at all,doesnt hurt
in fact ive got problems at moment like electric vaults going through my teeth cant eat much at all strangly i can drink cold but not hot
i would rather all my teeth are root canaled so i would never feel pain again

but i would go to anothr dentist ,tell them whats happening and ask them to take a look
dentist not very nice to go to ,but if they are a good dentist they shouldnt hurt you at all

Closed Thread