It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

Sue F. HB User
Question Teeth Cleaning Trauma

Does anyone have their teeth cleaning professionally by their dentist called a Prophy (?) cleaning? There was lots of spraying which required much suctioning, etc. Anyway, two days later the right side of my head was extremely sensitive and this lasted for 3 days. Has anyone experienced this? What could have caused the sensitivity in my head?? My dentist said she didn't have a clue and other patients had not experienced this!!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Teeth Cleaning Trauma

Hi..is this the first time you've had your teeth cleaned?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

Sue F. HB User

Oh, no, I've had them cleaned regularly, but first time I had gone to a dentist that used this method.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...it's possible that having your mouth open for a long time and the under the gums scraping/cleaning has triggered a "nerve" reaction.

What do your gums look like? do you have any "blistering" along the area that hurts?

Do you happen to have coldsore breakouts occasionly?

quincy

Old 12-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

Sue F. HB User

There's really no scraping involved with this cleaning -- it's more like a sonic cleaning with an instrument that sprays. (She calls it a Prophy (sp?) cleaning. Hard to describe, but my dentist says the regular scraping cleaning is too hard on anyone's enamel. So -- you may have it with the nerve answer. Maybe it was a nerve reaction that made the top of my head sensitive. Who knows? But, no, my gums are healthy and I never get coldsores -- however, think I will go back to the old cleaning with a hygienist. My dentist does the cleanings herself and I thought this was better -- but now, I don't think so after this ordeal. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ah, one of the hygienists I had in the past used a baking soda and water spray...but she did scrape first...I've never had ultrasonic cleaning done, however.

All teeth cleaning is called prophylaxis cleaning...it's a preventative to gum disease. The ultrasonic scaling you had is faster than scraping because of the vibrations of the tip. It's cooled by the water and needs to be done properly.

It's definitely possible it was tooooo much for your teeth, or the person who did it maybe spent a little too much time on an area that's caused your nerves to be irritated/inflamed by the ultrasonic vibrations.

Do a search on ultrasonic scaler.....and you may find your answer.

How are you feeling today? Still some nerve sensitivity?

quincy

Closed Thread