It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
(male)

DennisO HB User
Deep cleaning without anesthesia, pain?

I've always been under the assumption that deep cleaning involves pain and anesthesia. A few days ago I had the procedure performed by my Dentist's hygienist (two visits about 30-40 min each, 2 quadrants per visit). When I came to the first appointment and started to discuss anesthesia with her she informed me that she was not going to use any. Indeed she did not, the procedure was virtually painless, a couple of minor unpleasant sensations similar but weaker than the sensations during regular cleaning and that was about it.

She confirmed several times that my gums were bad, that she was indeed doing deep cleaning (scaling and root planing), yet it was painless without anesthesia. What am I missing?

Old 12-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Re: Deep cleaning without anesthesia, pain?

I had a deep root cleaning and it was done by a periodontist. They numbed the area beforehand (all 4 quadrants). Good bit of bleeding, too, because of the depth of the procedure.

Not sure you are missing anything....other than maybe it wasn't truly the procedure you thought you were getting? I'd consult with a perio to see if, in fact, things look clean down deep.

Good luck,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
(male)

DennisO HB User

Thank you Linda, this is exactly the information I was looking for. While it's not unusual to have scaling and root planing done by dental hygienists, I am certainly bewildered as to why she assured me she was doing it while apparently doing something else. I just wanted to get a reasonable confirmation that what I got was in fact not deep cleaning before I pursue this matter any further.

Once again, thanks a lot for your reply.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Dennis.....

Then again, your "pockets" may not have been very deep. If so, I suppose it was possible for the hygienist to do a deep root cleaning. I had several rather deep pockets, and was numbed for the procedure.

Were your gums sore afterwards? I remember mine being pretty tender for a couple of days.

Good luck,
Linda

Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

cleanining by higenist didnt hurt at all *shock*
i rather have a root canal or tooth out than have the hyginist at my teeth
it hurts me ,and feels like my teeth are going to fall out,once theyve finished

but after a while, must admit ,they do look better and feel better

Closed Thread