It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

The Inquirer HB User
Scared.To.Death.

Hi All,

I went to a new dentist on Friday because I was having a problem with a tooth. I thought I just had something stuck in my gums between the teeth, but it turns out there is an infection in the tooth and I need a root canal!! I have never had one and I am FREAKING OUT. I have some dental anxiety to begin with, but this is just off the charts. Anyway, an endodontist is going to be doing it, not the dentist. They gave me some forms to bring home and sign for when I have it done on Wednesday. One of them is a consent form, which lists all the possible risks and complications. Wish I had never seen it. In the meantime, I'm on an antibiotic and feel fine. In fact, I never had any sensitivity to hot, cold or sweets, so I don't understand, but they said they can see it on the x-ray. Soooooo scared. Oh, and I can't have the novacaine with the epi in it, so the other stuff doesn't numb you as well and doesn't last as long. Fab. They insist that I should not wait to see what happens. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me? I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Inq, Freaking Out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: Scared.To.Death.

I had a root canal many years ago and I didn't feel a thing, nor did I have any problems. I was put to sleep for it in the office (it was an oral surgeon). I was pretty giddy when I woke up -- like feeling a bit drunk and uninhibited. When it wore off, I had no pain or anything. It was really nothing at all. If I had to have one again, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'll check back in case you have more questions. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
(female)

ami68 HB User

they put you to sleep for a root canal? why? are you fearful of the dentist?
i too am terrified, and I am glad I did not see any papers when I had mine done on monday. My regualr dentist did it, and he was going to go to school to be an endodontist, but he didnt want to go the extra 2 yrs. root canals are what he loves doing ( can you imagine????) he did two of mine. I had the novicaine, and felt nothing. i shook the whole time, just out of fear. but I have to go back for the post, and becuase of my dumb fear< i never went back for the post in the other side and that tooth fell apart, so he's going to try to fix that one on friday. just make sure you go back when they tell you to, you dont want to be like me and wait forever to go to the dentist until there's a problem. I am going to have a cleaning done when all this is done with and take care of any little problems that might be there, its hard with no dental insurance. thats fear, on top of fear!!!! good luck, you will be fine!!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I hate going to the dentist because I have so many allergies to what they use. I can't have novacaine with eph either & the numbness always wears off before they get thru with the filling. I usually try to finish without another shot but for something like a root canal be sure to tell them if it hurts. Maybe you could take an anxiety med before you go to the dentist to help calm you.
Good luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

I'm surprised. Am I the only one that got put to sleep for a root canal? It wasn't like general anesthesia or anything; it was an injection in the arm, probably something like sodium pentathol (sp?) or something -- do they still use that? I love going to sleep. Wake up and it's all done, didn't feel a thing. I don't have anxiety with dentist visits (except a littlle for one coming up -- a cyst with impacted wisdom tooth!); but usually I have no fear. If I did though, I'd definitely want to get put to sleep.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Again,

Thanks all for your replies. Well, I had the first part of the root canal yesterday and, I have to tell you, I didn't feel a thing! It only took him about 25 minutes -- between him and his two assistants the hands were really flying! He said there was a lot of inflammation in there. I don't know exactly what that means, but I know it wasn't good. Anyway, I will go back next week for the second part. He said the first part is the hardest -- is that true? If so, then I guess I can relax. EXCEPT that I have quite a bit of pain today. Is that normal? I hope it is because we're getting a huge snowstorm here today and I won't be able to get to his office...

Thanks and be well,
Inq

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
(female)

ami68 HB User

Im so glad you wrote back with an update!! I just had my second part the monday. then I have to go back for the post soon. they said they do it in different days, so your body can except the new thigs that are being introduced. I didnt have any pain the nest day, except, my jaw ached from being open so long, and from the injection sight. lots of pressure feeling , though. the second part seems to take long, they kept doing x rays with a wire,right into the tooth, was really akward, but they have to make sure the canal is the right leght, they dont want to miss any of the root ( ew so gross). I took some codeine afterward, was heaven!!! good luck and keep updating!!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

Take an anti anxiety med 30 min. before your appointment. I did that yesterday before my root canal and I wasn't nervous at all. Root canals are not that bad. Get it over with........you will be fine. bride527

Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
(female)

ami68 HB User

what kind of anti anxiety med do you take? I dont happne to have any valium laying around the house! is there anything out there that is over the counter that can help some?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
(female)

red-rider HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami68 View Post
what kind of anti anxiety med do you take? I dont happne to have any valium laying around the house! is there anything out there that is over the counter that can help some?
Most dentists today will offer a med to relax you when you need work done that requires an hour or more. Like root canals or fillings replaced or dental surgery.
Some offer nitrous oxide which works great(it is a gas) with no side effects.
And others offer oral sedation like (Halcion) which is like a sleeping pill~BUT~it does not knock you out. You stay awake but feel nothing and the passage of time will go much quicker~some people even forget the whole deal.
Also IV sedation is available~but that is a drastic measure.
Be aware that all the sedations they offer are not cheap and will make your bill go up in price~but it is worth it IMO.
You also may try asking your GP(family doctor) for some Ativan or Valium and explain it is for dental anxiety. They might be willing to give you a small script.
BUT make sure you tell the dentist that you have taken it "before" they do any work.
Good Luck~RR

Closed Thread