It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Impacted wisdom tooth with cyst

This is the second time I'm posting about this because no one responded to my first post. i'm wondering if anyone has gone through surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth with a cyst. From what I gather, it's pretty nasty and painful. The tooth has not erupted and it's in a horizontal position. The dentist says it has to come out. The cyst is causing swelling below my ear. I'm 50 years old, and they say it's harder when you're older -- more chance of complications or something. Not looking forward to this one for sure. I was hoping someone here might have some advice having gone through it. Any tips? Don't be shy. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
(male)

tankman HB User
Re: Impacted wisdom tooth with cyst

i had my done just yesterday, 2 of them to be exact but only one was impacted the other one had come thru. but anyway the one that was impacted came out with no problem and i also had a cist behind the tooth which just like in your case was causing swelling and pain.
Now the dentist gave me Tetracycline which helped cure the infection on the tooth, i took it for a few days before going to have the tooth pulled, so you might want to ask your dentist to give you something if you cant get an appt right away to have the tooth pull.
Im a big chicken when it comes to these things but i must say that it wasnt bad at all. The Doc made sure i didnt feel a thing and he explained the whole procedure before even doing anything. but if you're in pain you better go and have it taken cared of

Good Luck
tank

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

That's great to know that you had no problem with it, and it sounds like we pretty much have/ had the same thing. Thanks for telling me. I have a little more courage now Good luck to you too.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

dogeyed HB User

Having a tooth pulled, even one like yours, is about the easiest procedure you can go through in the dental office. Mainly because it doesn't take long, and once it's out, the suffering is over for good. Many people get wisdom teeth taken out, and this is because of the way human beings have evolved, sometimes there's not enough room for those back teeth.

The suggestion about antibiotic is a good one, particularly if there is an infection going on, and the dentist will know what to do if you will ask him. Some dentists are as well-trained as doctors, and despite horror stories, they know what they are doing. The big deal is, they've got their hands and instruments stuck in your mouth for an hour or so, which is uncomfortable. In addition, the teeth each have nerves in them, so when anything is done in there, a person might feel some pain. But that's why they give a shot of novacaine, to numb up the area to be worked on.

Finally, while some folks fear going to the dentist, and sometimes people complain about results, you have to remember that helping someone with their teeth is not a fool-proof deal. But because technology has improved over the last 100 years, dentists can actually save teeth now, that heretofore were summarily yanked out with no anesthesia by the local barber or coffin-maker. So, if despite their best efforts, the tooth gives up the ghost, or if a set of false teeth goof up, or if discomfort returns following a procedure, at least they tried. Anyhow, that's how I see it.

In your case, with the cyst, they may need to put a couple dissolvable stitches in there, to keep the incision closed. It's sort of like if you had a growth on your finger. If they have to take it off, they'll stitch it back up, to heal the opening. Personally, I'm far more scared of driving down the highway than letting someone save my teeth, particularly if they are hurting!

Closed Thread