It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

tonya35 HB User
swollen jaw after extraction

I had a tooth pulled on December 5, 2007 and at the time I have
SEVERE pain in my jaw. Now it's been 8 days and my jaw is still swollen and still HURTING TERRIBLY. I went back by the dentist and he said it wasn't a dry socket. I keep getting the same answer it's going to take time, but it's not his jaw busting!! What do I do?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: swollen jaw after extraction

If it is not a dry socket, then yes, it probably will take some time. Having a tooth pulled causes trauma just like any other surgery and the bone needs to heal. I have had five extractions this past summer so I do understand, and yes it did take quite awhile for a few of them to stop hurting. Try to eat soft foods so that you do not stress your mouth too much and deliberately try to relax your jaw and face. Pain causes tension and tension causes pain - a vicious cycle. By just telling your face to relax it will - try it, it does help. Also whatever feels good on your face will help ease the pain - either cold or warm. My dentist also told me that stress is put on the muscles during an extraction and that too takes some time to heal and can be very sore for awhile. Don't despair, it will get better. The body needs time to heal.

glowing4

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
(female)

tonya35 HB User
Smile Re: swollen jaw after extraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowing4 View Post
If it is not a dry socket, then yes, it probably will take some time. Having a tooth pulled causes trauma just like any other surgery and the bone needs to heal. I have had five extractions this past summer so I do understand, and yes it did take quite awhile for a few of them to stop hurting. Try to eat soft foods so that you do not stress your mouth too much and deliberately try to relax your jaw and face. Pain causes tension and tension causes pain - a vicious cycle. By just telling your face to relax it will - try it, it does help. Also whatever feels good on your face will help ease the pain - either cold or warm. My dentist also told me that stress is put on the muscles during an extraction and that too takes some time to heal and can be very sore for awhile. Don't despair, it will get better. The body needs time to heal.

glowing4

Old 12-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: swollen jaw after extraction

try gargling salt water also get some ambosil gel rub on the gums not in the sockets just on the gums beneath

Closed Thread