It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User
My tooth just broke off!

I had a root canal on this tooth several weeks ago. My appointment to get a cap for this tooth isn't until Jan 4th. Today's Friday so I can't talk to the dentist until Monday. Being as it was a root canal, I feel no pain.
But this tooth is in the very front of my mouth and very noticable. I still have the broken-off part. The root is still in my mouth.
What should I do? I assume the impressions she made for the crown will have to be redone. Should I hold onto this broken peice? Should I make an emergency appointment to get a temporary?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
(female)

ami68 HB User
Re: My tooth just broke off!

did you have the post already put in?? this happened to me recently, I was about to go for the post, and my tooth broke off, even down to where my gum was exposed. I was freaking out, I called first thing in the a.m. and she said that would happen, I asked if it was going to get bacteria inside it now. I couldnt bare to check it out with a mirror, because it felt huge with my tongue, and I was sure the cement was exposed , and I was going to die soon ( drama). she said noooo, just keep it brushed and well take care of it sooner than later, so i went in and they said it was starting to decay, my gums felt funny, so they numbed me up before they put in the post, and he built up thooth as much as he could, and I feel much better now. I just need to stop touching it with my tongue so much, Im driving myself nuts!! let me know how it turns out!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

keep it in a clean place ,a real tooth they say put in milk ,but not sure aobut tempory filling? and when you go to a dentist they will stick it back on ,go to an emergancy dentist if your worried how it looks they will glue it back on until ,your appointment

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

ami68 HB User

I think milk only works if the whole root fall out with the tooth. I guess they will just have to rebuild the tooth. I hope you can get in before the 4th, thats a long time to wait with it being a front tooth and all. call first thing Monday morning!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

I wasn't going to actually get a post, they didn't think I needed one. I supose this changes that. I immediately put it in a tight ziplock bag. What good would it do me though? Somehow I doubt they'd try to put it back on.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User

I had a front tooth to break off - it just fell into my hand one day. There was enogh left for him to do a cap.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

Today I got two temporary caps, she decided to do the other tooth that had a root canal while she was at it. And now it seems like she wasn't even going to do the caps on the 4th but the temps, so it would have been longer. She gave up her lunch break to work on me.
It was a pretty awful appointment though. An hour and a half straight. I have a bad reaction to epinephrine so I got the other thing instead with my novacaine but it doesn't work nearly as well, therefore I was in a lot of pain most of the time. They gave me a *lot* of novacaine but it really didn't do anything at all for the last half hour. Man, it must have been at least 45 minutes of just drilling alone.
She still didn't seem to think I need a post. I didn't ask. She didn't need the broken-off tooth.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

ami68 HB User

I thought they do a post with every root canal! thats the reason mine broke off, because I never went back to have it put in, I think endodontists do it all at once, but since I went to my regular dentist,they do it in steps. Ok, I'm confused about the cap, is this different than a crown? after just paying 12+ dollars for my root canal a,d rebuild of the other side, I asked how much are crowns going to be, they told me 950$ each!!!!!! yikes!! I am asking about the cap, because Im wondering if this is cheaper,or just another name for a crown.

Closed Thread