It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

Lisa2007 HB User
Jaw Infection Following Root Canal

I had a root canal done about 2 months ago. It took several rounds of antibiotics and several visits, since the dentist was not able to numb the area well because of the infection. I finally got it completed but have continued to have pain that has gradually gotten worse. The dentist x-rayed it today and said that I have an infection in the jaw bone. He put me on antibiotics and said it might be a month or so before it's better. He also said that it will blister up on the gum and drain the infection and that will help it to heal.

Here is my question. From what I have read, this type of infection can be very difficult to treat. Why is he acting like it's no big deal? It hurts a lot and one side of my face is swollen. Is it a big deal? Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
(female)

katzfriend HB User
Re: Jaw Infection Following Root Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2007 View Post
I had a root canal done about 2 months ago. It took several rounds of antibiotics and several visits, since the dentist was not able to numb the area well because of the infection. I finally got it completed but have continued to have pain that has gradually gotten worse. The dentist x-rayed it today and said that I have an infection in the jaw bone. He put me on antibiotics and said it might be a month or so before it's better. He also said that it will blister up on the gum and drain the infection and that will help it to heal.

Here is my question. From what I have read, this type of infection can be very difficult to treat. Why is he acting like it's no big deal? It hurts a lot and one side of my face is swollen. Is it a big deal? Thanks.
Please get a second opinion from another dentist, preferably an endodontist. This can be a very serious issue, having an infection in your jawbone. At the very least I imagine you would need a retreatment. Some dentists will give you a second opinion for free, but even if I had to pay the fee, I'd consider it money well spent.
Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
(female)

emmacj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2007 View Post

You have osteomyelitis and should be on IV antibiotics. Is it your upper or lower jaw?

You need either an ENT or a GOOD oral surgeon!

Don't wait....it can become chronic and then it is impossible to get rid of!!! Go to your family doctor if you have to. A dentist should not be treating you for this.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Please get to your doctor immediately and get on long term antibiotics and don't back off on it. You have a bone infection. The dentist may have missed a canal or a root and maybe the root canal needs to be redone. Read my story on here. I post under SusanL95.You have a chance to recover. You need to be pushy (but nice so you aren't called combative). Lisa, you have a chance to recovery. Do not let them push you off. There was a guy who posted on here and he got better and I think it is because doctors often brush women aside but when a man arrives with the same or similar complaints they don't brush them off. Women are hysterical and depressed when they complain of pain, etc.

I think IV antibiotics and possible surgical intervention will heal you, but you have to attack it quickly and heavily. One antibiotic often doesn't do the trick. If you haven't been on it yet, Clindamycin is often a good choice. I definitely believe more than one antibiotic andthen an antifunal will give you your best chance to recover.

I am not a doctor, just an extremely informed patient who has suffered needlessly and had my entire life altered as the result of medical neglect.

Last edited by susanl95; 03-03-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Edited due to identifying information..

Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmacj View Post
You have osteomyelitis and should be on IV antibiotics. Is it your upper or lower jaw?

You need either an ENT or a GOOD oral surgeon!

Don't wait....it can become chronic and then it is impossible to get rid of!!! Go to your family doctor if you have to. A dentist should not be treating you for this.
i agree with what you say ,see another dentist or your doctor ,this infection has got to go and if its in your jaw bone its much serious and im sure there is something else they can do to get rid i think it will need surgury,where they cut the infection out from the under the tooth gums? i had this done years ago

Closed Thread