It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

Daisy147 HB User
chronic abcess

I saw mention of chronic absess and I would like to know what that is.
I had a swollen gum a month ago. Saw the dentist(I'm careful as I am a type 2 diabetic) He took an xray and said he didn't see anything, that maybe there was a crack below the crown on the tooth. I thought I had food caught-that has happened before in that area. He gave me antibiotics, told me to use salt water eight times a day and when it cleared up to see a dr. about an implant.
Because of the diabetes, I heal slowly. After a month the white swollen bump was gone-I did everything he suggested and used a water pik and electric toothbrush (and flossed several times a day) as well. Went back for a cleaning, and a check up of the gum. He said (after exploring with a pick) that it looked perfect, I was probably right, food had been caught between the crowned tooth and gum line. Said I could cancel the appt with the other dentist and to continue what I had been doing. Three days later, I again had a swollen gum. I think it was because he picked at the area..
I am back to using salt water, etc. It doesn't hurt like the first time (not at all this time) but it does appear to have fluid that comes out when I push on the area with a q-tip that has mouthwash on it.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks...Daisy

Last edited by Daisy147; 12-22-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: extra word

Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: chronic abcess

well i have that problem ,a crown and food gets between my gum and crown,and also got abcess there i gargle with salt water ,my old dentist ,refered me to a hospital said i needed deep cut of my gums
but the hospital says no such thing needed doing and gave me fungi tablets to take
the bump still there not as big though . but to me i think the tooth probably eventually needs to come out

see what your dentist has to say ? doesnt sound right also fluid coming out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

Daisy147 HB User

Thanks for replying, bergerbaby. My dentist wanted me to go to see someone else, who may cut the gum...but once he saw it had cleared up, he said to cancel. I am going to see about taking another few days of antibiotic(zithromax was ordered the first time, and in fact cleared it up for a month, till this past Monday) and keep doing salt water rinses. If it doesn't heal and stay healed I'll have to go back to the dentist. Happy Holidays to you!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well if it seems to be clearing up now take the anti biotics and see how you go
i doubt if there isnt much left of the abcess the hospital will cut your gums anyway

Closed Thread