It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

Idigit HB User
questions about braces

hello!

i've gone my whole life so far resisting braces (I'm 19) and i think it's gotten to the point where i need to just take the plunge and get it over with.

the biggest problem with my teeth is overcrowding. they're so crowded that my two front teeth slant outwards, and my bottom two (next to my canines) have turned completely sideways. needless to say my smile is far from perfect and will take a lot of work (i've actually been to several orthos a couple years ago who said that at least 4 extractions would be necessary before doing any work).

since i'm 19 and in my sophomore year of university, i'm not looking forward to running around campus with braces on. so i had this thought and it sounds kindof crazy but i was wondering if anyone had heard of doing braces in sections - like, partial braces, in a way, in different parts of the mouth over a longer period of time. that way, you wouldn't have to have an entire mouth of braces the whole time, and the front of your mouth could be fixed first, then the braces could be taken off, and then a retainer could be worn in the front while the back teeth were started in braces. Does this make sense? Is it crazy? I suppose it could happen that even if this were possible, you'd have braces on each part of your mouth for the same amount of time it would take for regular braces...

Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
(male)

Nexis HB User
Re: questions about braces

No pain no gain! i know there's no such thing as partial braces, yet now you have the clear type and you can't see them as much as the metal ones.

Having them done while you are in school and still young is the best time, because after that once you are in the work force, it does become more awkward.

If I were you, consult about three orthodontist recommended by others. I know that there are different type of techniques too. My ortho utilizes what is called a "Bio Progressive" technique which anchors all the teeth and align them to the same height. So do alittle internet research and see what you think would be good for you and price ranges do vary.

Also, just like you I had consulted a ortho at your age, yet had to stop half way through. Then I had my current ortho restart treatment, and this ortho did a computer graphic calculation of my face mesurement, compared it with the general population, and showed me what my dental issues were, and how my facial features measure with the general population. I found out I deviated on my jaw size, which makes me look alittle masculine for a woman. I have never heard of any other orthos doing this, so as mentioned you will have different kinds of approaches when seeking treatment.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nexis; 12-22-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

You would have to do some research. There is also lingual braces. Which are barces that go on the back of the teeth so no one can see them. You may also consider just doing veneers to straight your teeth. You would need to find a dentist that does these things and see if you are a good candiate for one of these cases.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had straight teeth but an overbite and when I was 38 years old my teeth started shifting and leaning back making my whole bite collapse. My teeth also started crossing. I was very self-conscious about it but I was at risk of losing my teeth so I went for braces. The back molars had the metal and the 6 front teeth were clear brackets glued on. The braces weren't that obvious. The little rubber donuts that go over the bracket to hold the wire in change colors from coffee, cheetos (makes them green) and then they look bad, so I changed the donuts myself every week to keep them clear. It wasn't easy to do but I did it. I also had to have surgery to realign my jaw so I had to be switched to the metal for about 4 months. It really got to the point I didn't care. I was amazed at how many people picked my brain for information because they wanted braces too. I am so glad I did it. I still am complimented on my smile 17 years later.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
(male)

Braced Face HB User

i too have a full set of metal braces ,an yes along with headgear an a mouthfull of elastic bands , no one realy cares about you wearing braces , i had nothing but support an great question's about my treatmebt at age 49, i had to have this all done for tmj probs , an yes if need me would do it over agian , but realy wouldn't want to , there are due for debond jan 15 2008 if all goes well , i'm now pain free an a great stright smile i love ,

Old 12-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
(female)

Idigit HB User

Nexis - that's very interesting, I've never heard of an ortho doing an analysis of that sort before. And yes, I suppose it's much better to get them over with sooner rather than later. Thanks for the information!

brwneyez9 - I had completely forgotten about lingual braces. Those sound like a great option, but I wonder what the cons of those are? More expensive, more uncomfortable? I'll definately do some research on those, thanks! Unfortunately, I don't think veneers are a possibility for me financially, and if I were going to do dental work I'd like for it to be a more permanent solution.

Mel52 and Braced Face - I know in the end it will be worth it! I just need to bite the bullet and do it, hah. Thanks!

Closed Thread