It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
(male)

almok HB User
Antibiotic Prescribed by DDS

I went to my dentist with a lot of oral pain recently in my upper right mouth. Had some x-rays done and evrything looked fine. No root issues or anything other than soreness that refers a bad headache. He sent me to an oral surgeon who evaluated and said he did not think it was tooth related but that I most likely had a sinus infection in the lower sinuses that was casuing inflammation right above my gums as this is a common issue. Anyway, he prescribed me a 10 day round of Amoxycylin. I am very concerned about antibiotc use. Two years ago I took two rounds of anitbiotics for a what was believed to be urinary tract infection when it turned out not to be. I would say over my life if have been a light user of antibiotics, some used as a teenager but not a lot...only in the last few years. Are my concerns valid? I am concerned about my future health and infection fighting ability if I take more and I really need them for a life threatening situation. I am to the point that I want the "infection" to ride itself out without anitbiotics.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 12-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User
Re: Antibiotic Prescribed by DDS

I would not take the antibiotics just because an oral surgeon
can not find anything wrong and so he blames it on your
sinuses....usually with a sinus infection you will have more
symptoms than just tooth pain...green stuff and a stuffed head or ears...I would find a dentist that is familiar with TMJ
and to me your symptoms sound like that might be a good
possibility....you have pain that ends up in a headache...one
side of your mouth hurts and also you can have pressure from
the tight muscles from the jaw pressing on your sinus passage that is not an infection but just pressure....find a dentist with TMJ experience.....karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
(female)

dogeyed HB User
Re: Antibiotic Prescribed by DDS

I have to say, the dentists were just trying to help you. You can take the antibiotics or not. But if YOU can see inflammation on your gums, that is, if they are red and swollen and sore, then the process is probably an infection of some kind.

You can go to an ear-nose-throat physician to confirm if it's sinus, and he can also look into the TMJ idea, and he can discuss pros and cons of antibiotics. Also a chance a food particle stuck in your teeth and bacteria set up a local infection. If so, floss real good and swish water vigorously, repeat until it feels better.

You can also drink extra water and use a plain saline nose spray, with nothing else in it, to loosen up any nasal congestion, if you have it.

Closed Thread