It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

Zimm HB User
Question Broken Partial

Hi all and a very Happy New Year!!! I have a question that I really would appreciate an answer for: I seem to have broken a small piece of the metal that goes behind the tooth and wonder if anyone can tell me if the dentist can fix this rather than have to buy a new partialmwhich is beyond my pockets right now,plus,can anyone tell me haw long I would have to go without my partial. It's pretty difficult right now,especially since this is the Holiday season. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Zimm

Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Broken Partial

yes ,they will or if you go to a denture technition rather than a dentist ,they probably be able to do it within a hour or by the end of the day?

well good luck i hope you get it fixed quick,i too have a partial denture and always fear what if it breaks *eek*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
(female)

Zimm HB User

THANK YOU bergerbaby!! With the holidays I haven't been able to reach a dentist,so I have been freaking out,especially since the metal that broke off was a piece to stablelize a loose tooth. I had called a place about fixing it but the guy said you couldn't fix the metal on a partial and I would have to get a new partial made. I'm just hoping the dentist can fix it. Thanks for your reply.
Zimm

Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Dentists usually send partials and dentures out to labs for repair. Look in the phone book to see if any places advertise an on site lab for repair work,also call around to labs in your area and see if any of them could fix it.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
(female)

Zimm HB User

Well, I finally saw my dentist (he's new,my dentist of over 30 years has decided he needed a rest and I think he retired,he went to Florida for 6 months.) Anyway this new one sent my partial to the lab,when it came back,they had repaired it differently than I originally had it,they said if they put the same type of piece in it would just break again. I told the dentist that it felt tight and kind of off ,so he did something to it and said that I should wear it and try to get used to it. Well, it seems like it doesn't fit properly,it used to be comfortable,or at least as comfortable as a partial can feel but now my whole mouth feels sore and out of line and like my lower teeth are not fitting against the upper partial evenly. I'm even getting pain in my ears and my lower teeth seem to ache. I am supposed to see him on the 23rd. Has anyone else had this type of problem or is it just my nerves causing clenching because I'm afraid of getting another abcess.

Last edited by Zimm; 01-11-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Wrong place for icon

Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
Well, I finally saw my dentist (he's new,my dentist of over 30 years has decided he needed a rest and I think he retired,he went to Florida for 6 months.) Anyway this new one sent my partial to the lab,when it came back,they had repaired it differently than I originally had it,they said if they put the same type of piece in it would just break again. I told the dentist that it felt tight and kind of off ,so he did something to it and said that I should wear it and try to get used to it. Well, it seems like it doesn't fit properly,it used to be comfortable,or at least as comfortable as a partial can feel but now my whole mouth feels sore and out of line and like my lower teeth are not fitting against the upper partial evenly. I'm even getting pain in my ears and my lower teeth seem to ache. I am supposed to see him on the 23rd. Has anyone else had this type of problem or is it just my nerves causing clenching because I'm afraid of getting another abcess.

zimmer ,if i were you as i would be frightened havoing same plate back anyway ,incase it broke again
i know its costly but i would have a new one made,also might be more comfortable?
i get new ones done practically every year as i am not comfortable with ones i have after a while seem.when i have treatment done ,y plate doesnt feel the same and gets looser

well good luck

Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I think it is fairly common to clench your teeth when they do not feel like they are fitting together properly. I would try to get your appointment moved up so that you do not damage your remaining teeth by putting too much stress on them if the partial is not fitting right. Also if you are clenching your jaws you are putting excess pressure on the temporomandibular nerve in your jaw and I hear this can cause headaches.

Can you leave the partial out until you see the dentist?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
(female)

Zimm HB User

I can try to get my appointment moved up but I really doubt that is possible. Do you have any idea about how much they charge for a new partial?? I got mine about 10 years ago and am afraid it will have to be replaced after what they did to it and I'm afraid to ask about the cost. Many thanks for the replies,I am really having an anxiety problem with this!!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I have no idea how much a partial denture would cost. I am sure it depends on how many teeth it holds, what type of clasps it has and probably ten other factors I am not aware of. I have full dentures and know they cost a pretty penny.

There are "discount" denture places that advertise their fees on their websites- personally I would not try to cut corners on this. These are your teeth and are very important.

Try not to stress too much, it will be resolved soon.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
(female)

Zimm HB User
Unhappy Re: Broken Partial

Well, I went back to the dentist and now I REALLY have problems!! I explained the problems I was having and he said let me look,he drilled something on the piece he had told the lab to put on instead of what I wanted put back the way it was before it broke and told me to try it for a while,Okay,then he put my new crown on my lower tooth,of course,it was too tight,so he drilled it and totally butchered it,it is now shorter than the ones on each side so my bite is off,of course I didn't know that then because there were no mirrors and he had put the permanent cement on it,then put cotton in my mouth and said keep biting on it to set the cement. Right now,my whole mouth is hurting from the partial which still isn't right on the right side and the crown which is too short on the left side! I am so freaked out,I can't sleep and am really sick over this. My husband keeps saying I'm not giving my mouth a chance to adapt and besides there's nothing we can do. He charged over $900.00 for this crown he butchered and I have no idea how much he will charge for fouling up my partial,but we have no recourse, I asked for him to fix it. I have no idea how I will be able to handle this financially let alone paying to get his mess repaired,does anyone know if they can build a crown back up once it's cemented in? Please!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you for letting me rant!!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
(female)

Zimm HB User

Hi,
I'm back again with questions. If anyone has had any of these problems,Please help!! Can the dentist send my partial back to the lab to fix it properly?? And am I within my rights to tell him to replace the crown that is not right for me?? I can't eat properly,can't sleep and am in pain in my mouth and stomach and have a constant headache.
Thank you for any answers!!

Closed Thread