It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

ladybear1984 HB User
Just a question....

Hey everyone! have a question for those of you who are in the dental field.... What are the symptoms and treatments for gingivitis? I found out I have it in my family and I am wondering how to prevent it and how it can be treated if I get it.

[Please note that this is not a medical professional advice forum; only a peer support group. Medical professionals cannot post their professional title. You can read more about this, by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 12-26-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
(female)

dogeyed HB User
Re: Just a question....

I had that condition for a while. Anyone can get it and it is common. Gums swell up, are tender, pull away from the teeth, which can cause tooth loss, the mouth stinks, and it all gets worse. Usually gum disease comes from plaque buildup and food getting stuck. The way to keep that from happening is to practice this regimen: Floss daily, use at least a medium-stiff brush after meals, use a Waterpik type device that squirts high-powered water between teeth daily, have your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year, watch sugars in drinks and food, and don't smoke. If you do these things, your gums will probably not give you a problem and neither will your teeth. I know, not all these things are possible, but that is the ideal to shoot for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User

well .agree with other poster ,but also if you use cordysil mouth wash for gingivitous but only use it ,say for a week , then only occaisionally,but only if your gums are swelling up or sore

Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
(female)

soliloquy HB User

The above advice is good. However, please use a soft bristled brush instead of a medium one. The vast majority of dental professionals recommend soft bristled toothbrushes because they won't cause toothbrush abrasion at the enamel/dentin junction or gum recession. Your hygienist can show you how to use your toothbrush effectively.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
(female)

gigi3 HB User

[QUOTE=ladybear1984;3363793]Hey everyone! have a question for those of you who are in the dental field.... What are the symptoms and treatments for gingivitis? I found out I have it in my family and I am wondering how to prevent it and how it can be treated if I get it.

Hi there. I am a [removed]. First of all you can tell if you have gingivitis if your gums are puffy and red. Also when you brush, if they bleed. If they bleed only alittle bit, its not too bad yet. If they bleed heavily, its a more
advanced form. On thing about gingivitis is if you want to get an oral disease..its the better one to have. Gingitivis is reversible. Gingitivits does not lead into periodontal disease, they are two seperate things, but if you have perio you may have gingitivis too. Simply put, gingivits is just an imflammation process from the bacteria in your plaque. The only way logically to get rid of the inflammation is to get rid of the plaque. The more carbs, and breads we eat, even cerals, brings in more plaque, and as they breakdown they cause sugar to react with the acid in our mouth, this creates the situation of cavities, esp if the PH of the mouth reaches a certain level, and begins penetrating the enamel.

Again, your best hope of getting rid of the gingivitis is brushing. Okay, say you brush twice a day now. When you get done, notice where the plaque still is. (you might want to brush alittle lighter than normal to determine this)....if its all along the gumline, then your not hitting that area, you want to tilt your toothbrush in that area, and slowly circle around. If you brush twice a day, maybe increase it to 3 times, but how long are you brushing? You should be brushing 2-2 1/2 mins each time. Increase that....if your gums are sensitive you might switch toothpaste to sensodyne. I also tell my patients, depending on there gums who use total, its more abrasive toothpaste, I dont recommend it to everyone. Esp gingivits, or skin irriated people. Last but not least talk to your dentist about gingitivis rinses. They are prescription, they will often recommend Periodex or Oasis. Good luck. Hope this helps!

[Do not post your professional title. Please click the “Posting Policy” above for more details. Thanks – Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 03-28-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Closed Thread