It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

redshoes1 HB User
post root canal pain

I had a root canal yesterday on a previously crowned tooth. The procedure was fairly routine with little pain until the end of the procedure. I started to feel nerve pain, but just assumed the numbing was wearing off by that time. As the day progressed, I started to feel some slight discomfort, but again assumed that is normal. By the evening, when I tried to chew it caused great pain. I was awakened in the night with extreme pain around the tooth site as well as throbbing pain into the jaw. I called my dentist and went in and was told this is normal. He adjusted the bite a little, but I still can not put any pressure on the tooth. I was instructed to take 3 Advil every 4 hours to help with the with pain and inflamation. I am still in constant pain and was just wanting to make sure this is normal. I had a root canal many years ago and don't remember having this kind of pain after the fact.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: post root canal pain

Goodness! Why didn't this guy give you proper post-op instructions? Was it a general dentist or an endodontist? You should not chew on that tooth for at least 2 weeks after a root canal...or until you go back to get it sealed. It was 3 weeks for that for me...and took even a little longer before I could chew on that side.....and you should be taking advil or aleve or whatever anti-flammatory you normally take for several days afterward.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

Ladysteines HB User

That is very odd to be in that much pain. I had three root canals done (in one sitting) about 3 weeks ago and I'm in no pain. I had a little discomfort from where I recieved the numbing shots and a little around my gum line but other than that there was no pain at all. So it's not normal and your dentist did something wrong. Maybe there was a piece of the nerve left in place that needs to be removed, if you have to go to see a different dentisi. I hope this helps you. Tooth pain is the worst.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

jenny1234 HB User

If it isn't better by now, I'd go to an endodontist (if a general dentist did it) or an Oral Surgeon (if an Endo did it). Tell them you are in pain and ask to be worked in. Be aggressive. If its something that needs fixed there could be a small window of opportunity.

Find out what material they used and get a copy of your xrays. Don't worry about insulting them by getting a second opinion. Its your body, you are entitled to it. They are required to give you a copy of your records along with the xray. Take them with you, don't let them send them on to your new doctor. You need to look at them and educate yourself enough to know what questions to ask and attempt to understand the answers.

Get help.

Closed Thread