It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

sandi2932 HB User
Teeth Clenching

About 1-2 years ago I started having problems with my ears. It was a feeling that I had pressure in my ears. I was also having a pain in my arms. I went to my regular doctor who said there was no problems. He thought the arms was fibromyalgia. To make me happy he sent me to a ear/nose/throat doctor. He cleared some wax from my ear (the side that had the most pressure and said that was the only problem he could see. They even did an ear test. I had mentioned to my dentist that I noticed I clinched my teeth when I slept and she said it could cause the pressure and right away offered to fit me for a guard for my mouth that cost around $300. I figured she just wanted the money and I said no. I'm taking anti-depression medicine and I still cannot sleep. I've been noticing that I'm cliching my teeth really bad. I think I read that depression will cause you to grind or clinch your teeth. Could it cause insomnia too? The ear pressure is what started my insomnia. Any help would be appreciated.

Sandi

Old 12-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
(male)

Chomper76 HB User
Re: Teeth Clenching

Hi sandi,

Sometimes the meds can cause you to clench/grind at night and sometimes it is just a natural habit. Hard to say but I would go ahead and get the guard. Over time grinding can destroy your teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I have TMJ and clench and grind my teeth at night. You could post and/or read the TMJ board on this site. Anyway, I think it's a good idea to wear a splint at night and see if it helps. I've gotten relief from wearing a splint and then getting braces to close up my anterior open bite. I also go to Acupuncture once a week and take a muscle relaxer and low dose Xanax before bed. I used to have a terrrible headache everyday for years, but don't have them anymore. I also had ear pain that was referred pain from my jaw. Acupuncture has taken care of that pain too. You can also put heat on your ear for pain relief. It's true that some anti-depressants can cause teeth grinding. BTW, $300 for a splint is very reasonable. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi sandi....sounds like you have classic TMJ disorder. When
you clench or grind your teeth at night it is called bruxism.
You are doing it unconsciously when you sleep. The reason
is because your bite is incorrect or off. TMJ pain is usually caused by the muscles working over time trying to correct a bite that is off. They become fatigued and the pain sets in
causing headaches arm neck and shoulder pain numb hands
migranes, fullness in the ears, tinnitus, and many other
symptoms. i would find a dentist who can adjust your bite
and see if this does not help. There is a a best bite discluder
that works and is very cheap. also a night guard works so
you will not wear down the teeth....good luck and find a
dentist that knows about neuromuscular dentistry. Karen

Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

Thank you for your help. I have a doctors appointment next week. I think my bite is off too. I noticed that I sometimes clinch my teeth even when I'm not sleeping. I've had crowns and a bridge put in within the last year or so. That could have caused the whole problem. I wonder if it could be causing my insomnia too?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Both my daughter and I clench our teeth at night. She is a young healthy mother and taking no medications and so neither of knows why we clench our teeth. We don't grind them just clench them tight and it wears us out for sure. She went ahead and go a night guard but I have not. She says the guard helps but like you say it is expensive however for some quite necessary.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
(female)

hobogirl HB User

I would check with different dentist in your area. I wear a night guard that I got from my dentist and it was less than $100. My dental insurance paid for mine. I think that $300 is a bit too much. It does help alot. I can tell a difference in the way that I feel the next day if I fall asleep without my guard.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
(female)

katzfriend HB User

I think $300 is not bad at all, considering I just paid $500 for a nightguard a month ago . I was getting cracked fillings and my dentist thinks it is due to my clenching ( I don't grind ). So I figured it is cheaper than replacing fillings again and again... and every time you get a filling replaced, there is a chance you will end up with a root canal due to the trauma to the tooth from the drilling.

Someone posted they only paid around $100 for a nightguard, wow, you got a bargain!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
(female)

nrmcguire HB User

I went through tests at Mayo regarding my neck pain that contributed to numbness in my shoulder and arm. My vertebrae in my neck are also too close to my spinal cord. The cool point is since I started wearing my Invisalign braces in November, my neck pain has diminished. I discovered that I must clamp my teeth at night, but with the braces in, I can't. My neck muscles have relaxed. I'm curious to find out if my vertebrae will fall back into place now that my neck muscles are no longer stressed. I won't know until this summer when I see my spine surgeon for a repeat visit. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has had a similar experience and the resulting prognosis. I plan to continue wearing my retainers every night to avoid the teeth clamping and resulting neck pain.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
(female)

nrmcguire HB User

I had similar problems with my ears clogged and the doctor suggested that I "take a swim in the ocean 3 times per day" by using saline in my nose and let it flow into my eustachian tubes to clear them out. That treatment was immediate in the clearing of my clogged ears and the roaring in my head. I passed the information on to my students and siblings. My sister had immediate relief from a persistent sore throat that had been plaguing her for months. It's worth a try.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
(female)

jandi HB User

How do you use saline in your nose? Do you mix salt with water and then? sniff it in?
Thanks

Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Try searching for a neti pot - its designed specifically to allow one to irrigate the sinus passages - it looks like a small tea pot and in the US is sold in drug stores or pharmacies. You just tilt your head slightly back and place the spout of the neti pot into a nostril and let the saline or salt water run through one nostril - it will come out the other nostril so do this over a sink or towel. Or you could try filling a small bowl with saline or warm salt water and using a straw slightly inserted in one nostril. There are saline nasal sprays available in the US (perhaps where you are too?) although they don't irrigate the sinuses as well they do moisten or moisturize them.

PS - i should mention that distilled water is often recommended when making your own salted water or saline.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
(female)

jandi HB User

thanks, I'll look out for one, and i'll try a straw too .

Closed Thread