It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
(male)

almok HB User
Angry 6 weeks of oral pain/headache and no diagnosis

In late November I started having pain in my upper right mouth towards the back teeth and gum area. After a week I went to the dentist who did digital x-rays and visual inspection and said my teeth looked healthy so he refered me to an endodontist. The endo did a single regular x-ray as well as tooth sensitivity tests and everything checked out fine. He said come back if the pain gets worse. A week later I start getting a headache behind the right eye asthe oral pain gets worse. I go back to the endo and he does a second x-ray and everything is fine. He tapps the teeth and no pain. At this point it seems that when the oral pain gets worse, so does the headache. I decide to go see my wife's dentist(who I have known for years) and he inspects my mouth and says he sees a questionable spot on my gums and sends me to the oral surgeon. I go to the oral surgeon who looks at my x-rays, does more sensitivity tests and conculdes that it is my maxillary sinuses causing the issue and refering pain into my mouth. He gives me amoxycilin for 10 days. I am on day 8 and it has not made one difference. He may want me to go to the ENT eventually for an evaluation.

I am at my wits end. I don't think any of these guys know what they are doing with regard to my situation. I know it is not a sinus infection. I have no congestion or mucus, just extreme pain in my upper mouth/cheek area. After I brush I have terrible pain in the upper mouth that causes a headache and can last for several hours. Sometimes brushing has no immediate effect. Also it seems like my teeth are sensitive to cold at times, not all the time. One year ago I had amalgams removed in the same area and composites put in. I had on/off pain for a couple months but it was tolerable...not bad. The pain went away and came back briefly a few months later but again but not that bad....minor discomfort. Then in November it got really bad and has continued for 6 weeks now. The pain will occasionally subside for a few hours but returns. I hope someone can give me an idea of what to do. I am wondering if the composite filling has leaked into the root canal area although the dentist and endo do not think so. I have a history of allergies and thus sinus issues but that also includes congestion and mucus which I don't have. My sinuses feel clear. I am at the point of consulting with my primary doctor since I have no clue what to do. Thanks.

Alex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: 6 weeks of oral pain/headache and no diagnosis

well ,it is possible you have aralgia(sorry not sure if thats how you spell it)
and if it is then only pain killer shelp i dont think there is any cure for it
otherwise its possible which happened to my friend,she was in a lot of pain .she had the tooth out ,and she had very large roots,well in fact the biggest the dentist had ever seen,and she kept the tooth to show to other dentist,and she was told thats why she was in so much pain the roots was so big it was infecting her sinuses.

Closed Thread