It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Exclamation Apicoectomy Questions - Nervous!

Hi all,

I have had a ton of dental work done for the past 20 years. My top 6 front teeth were root-canaled 10 years ago and a bridge put in. The bridge never fit right so now my new dentist is making me a new one.

My two front teeth both have abcesses, which a re-root canal cannot fix. The infection is too high up. My dentist has referred me to a surgeon to do an Apicoectomy. I go for the consultation on the 14th then will schedule surgery.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this procedure? I am going to be "put out" via IV sedation. I do not feel comfortable just taking a Valium and being loopy.

What can I expect? Will there be a lot of pain and bruising afterwards? Will their be stitches? Is this going to be a huge incision?

Also, about how much does this cost? I am in NH, and have no dental insurance.

Sorry for all the questions! I am very nervous.

Thank you so much in advance,
Carrie

Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: Apicoectomy Questions - Nervous!

i think i had that done once when i had a bridge,i was put under sedation ,and they cut away the infection from the gum,so you wont feel a thing ,yes it was a bit sore for a few days .but take pain killers you be ok dont worry

stitches though it was so long ago cant remember having stitches ? but must of done ,but generally they are disolved after a few days

good luck and honest you wont feel a thing and its only a mild soreness afterwards

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Carrie, I have had several of these done and only with novacaine. You might have some swelling. There will be a few stitches, and some after discomfort, but not really pain. I am not sure of the cost as I do have dental insurance, but it is similar in price to a root canal. Not to worry, if I can do this with only novacaine than how bad can it be!!! You will be fine. Write if you have more questions, but in the meantime, try to relax. As annoying and painful as teeth can be, getting them fixed is a huge relief.

glowing4

Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
(female)

Carrie1970 HB User
Re: Apicoectomy Questions - Nervous! Updated

Hi - sorry for not replying sooner. I met with the oral surgeon last week and I am going to have the surgery on Feb. 15. I am going to have the apico on #8 and #9 (two front teeth). He also mentioned a bone graft.

I am extremely nervous about how much pain I will be in afterwards and what its going to look like. I have a queasy stomach and cant look at yucky things.

I also have a hard time taking pain killers like Vicodin, as it makes me throw up. Any suggestions on what I could take for pain?

Thanks!!
Carrie

Old 01-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: Apicoectomy Questions - Nervous!

take Vicodin only with food in your stomach first and you may not even feel nauseated. GL Or, you could ask for Percocet instead.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

gleighc68 HB User
Re: Apicoectomy Questions - Nervous! Updated

Hi Carrie, How did it go? I'm having the same procedure done in May. My Endodontist seems great so I'm not really worried. Was it painful for you? Or mild? I've had a lot of work done on my teeth but nothing in terms of cutting into my gums like this. I hear after a few days the pain is gone. True?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
(female)

flexy633 HB User

I had this procedure done about 10 years ago with only novacaine. Didn't feel a thing. The next day, my upper lip was swollen and huge. They told me to keep icing it. I didn't have any pain, just mild discomfort from the swelling. Tomorrow, I am having another apico done.

Closed Thread