It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
(female)

Jean 53 HB User
Help with crown issue

I need some advice on what to do about a crown that was done in October.Whenever I eat, food gets stuck between my teeth and the new crown.It's mostly a problem with meat but can happen with other food sometimes.My dentist said sometimes that happens.I have three other crowns(one he did) and have no problems with them.I had another dentist look at it and she said it should be redone if it bothers me.However when she asked if that tooth had a root canal she made a face like it could be an issue but she'd still redo it.She said there's no guaranteee the tooth won't break or need a root canal once you disturb it again.So am I possibly trading one problem for something more serious.Anyone live with food always getting stuck and not have probvlems with your gums or other teeth.Are ther any problems down the road that coukd result from food always getting stuck there.Is it worth the risk to try and fix it or can it be left alone and just learn to live with it? Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: Help with crown issue

when food gets packed around a crown it is due to the contact being open. It is not close enough to the adjacent tooh. Does it pop when you floos around it just like your other teeth. If not - it's open contact and it should be replaced, at no charge, by the dentist who did it. As far as the root canal thing goes, may or may not be a problem. The dentist shouldn't have to do a lot of work to the tooth other than getting the crown off and taking a new impression.
Open contact on a crown will shorten the life of the crown by increaing the chances of getting recurrent decay at the margin of the crown, not to mention problems with cleansability and gum tissue problems.
If it ends up needing a root canal, you'll get stuck with the bill from that, but at least you'll be able to get the root canal before you get your new crown seated- instead of having a hole drilled in a crown you just shucked out a bunch of money for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
(female)

Jean 53 HB User

Thanks for your input.Actually the floss does pop.In fact when he first put it in it felt too tight but he checked it with dental floss and said it was good.It's just annoying to have food stuck there so often.However I'd rather deal with this than if I get it replaced and have more serious issues.Just wish I knew it would be better and not cause some other problem..But I guess that applies to most things in life!Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
(male)

willybrown HB User

There is no mystery here. It is a cause and effect relationship. If you did not have this problem befoe you had the crown placed, and now you do, it is the dentists responsibility to solve it to your satisfaction. It is your right to have it addressed and correcte to your satisfaction. Do not accept excuses.
The crown may need to be re-done. The contact may be too light as well as maybe open. This needs to be determined for sure.
However- every time you mess with a tooth by cutting and pulling and hitting and applying chemical agents such as dental materials, you are affecting the nerve inside the tooth. As a result of these, a root canal treatment may be necessary at any time during, or after the procedure. There is usually never only one answer for anything involving teeth. And reactions are often difficult to predict for certain. We just know that it does happen...

The fact is, if you have a problem after the crown was placed, it is the dentists responsibility to address that to your satisfaction. Check contacts. Check overhangs or open margins. Check for rough surfaces or improper crown contours. It could be a lotof things.
You should not have to "live with it" as you say.

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread